Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Pickelhaube authentic?

PrussianGarde

6 hours ago, PrussianGarde said:

Should I buy the 1915 version since I own a 1915 model?

If you are considering collecting Imperial German militaria relating to WW1 then I would personally invest in all 5 volumes 

Do Prussian Garde helmets have 1 or 2 holes for the wappen. Because mine has 2

9DD96643-DC27-4958-9CA9-B595305CE5DA.jpeg

Mark Holden

I am interested in collecting Imperial German militaria. But mostly pickelhaubes. So yes I most likely will buy all then.

2 hours ago, PrussianGarde said:

Do Prussian Garde helmets have 1 or 2 holes for the wappen. Because mine has 2

Extra holes are usually an excellent sign that a helmet has had a replacement helmet plate added at a later date. This did sometimes happen in military service, however the original holes in the leather were usually tidily filled in and polished over when this happened. Yet another sign this helmet is just a mish-mash of bits...

Yes, but these holes look like (at least form my perspective) that they are very old and look very similar to each other. Also the holes that the wappen is stored in are the original holes I believe. Also, I took a look at some Prussian Garde wappens and the do sometimes look like they have 2 sets of whatever goes into the holes. Is this true or am I just confused? Also, do u know any good websites of where I could get a Prussian Garde wappen for under 200$?

Hi,

I agree with Andrew about the holes, not good.

regards,

Cnock

Makes sense. Well the guy did say that the wappen was replaced. Unfortunately you guys are probably right. Well luckily this will be something that I will be restoring and then selling. Soon I will get a better helmet and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. I am wondering how I could be able to replace or reattach a spine. Would you guys know anything about this?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by PrussianGarde

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Mr.kogito said:

Hello! What do you think about this spike? Is it normal that the base is copper and the spike is brass?

088768C7-4763-42E7-9C33-E0BBC6D19B4A.jpeg

Looks correct 

Looks like a relic. Brass will turn coppery after a prolonged period exposed to the elements and then cleaned.

differences in wear of the parts shows again this helmet was put together with parts belonging to more than one helmet