Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Pickelhaube authentic?

PrussianGarde

I recently bought a Prussian Pickelhaube off eBay for 260 dollars after making and offer and him accepting it. The seller said they bought it in Berlin and that is is a 1915 model with a reproduction wappen. However this is still supposed to be a Prussian Garde or regular Prussian Pickelhaube, and the rest is original. I want to know if this is authentic. Please, let me know your thoughts.

D9454950-3361-4F00-A7B4-D70078936E05.png

C4CE342D-3EE5-4372-9761-DC8EE29A66CF.png

B927FD4E-3B2A-4780-9926-9AD3C31C830D.png

CB9BE588-7334-410C-AA66-DD8011A3EEA3.png

B792595F-CE2B-4E2E-AED2-FC15853D80EA.png

DF77223C-6CAF-4113-A920-09B687E086B7.png

9787CDDC-701C-4610-8D74-65D6313655E4.png

2DB6DF3D-ACB6-43E0-B4DB-0F50F900BE85.png

FB6F1824-7A14-417F-968B-FC5CF193745D.png

C0ACC617-D660-45EB-ACD8-13639038A027.png

Edited by PrussianGarde

I think some parts may be real (put together), but the badge seems fake to me as far as I can judge from the pics.

Hi,

can we see the back side of the eagle (is missing a part)

are there ink stamps inside the helmet?

regards,

Cnock

Cnock

The eagle is a replica and no I can’t get you a picture of that yet and I believe that the seller said no, I think this is a privately purchased helmet.

I can’t see any ink stamps because the helmet is being shipped but I am pretty sure that this is a privately purchased helmet because of this

Edited by PrussianGarde

Aok4 

yes the eagle is a replica. He said that the badge is the only part that is a replica

I don't believe this would be private purchase as it doesn't have a officers spike, just a enlisted mans spike. Also this doesn't seem to be a 1915 model as the fittings seem to be brass and spike should be detachable. Plus the chin strap is wrong.

The leather looks old enough to me.

Ok. Because I am just trying to figure out if this is a real Pickelhaube. Are there any other things that you could tell me about this helmet

Just now, PrussianGarde said:

Ok. Because I am just trying to figure out if this is a real Pickelhaube. Are there any other things that you could tell me about this helmet

It's missing cockades on both sides but they were regularly taken off as they became a target. This seems to a enlisted mans m1895 pickelhaube.

Ok, do you know possibly what kingdom this is from. The guy said that it is supposed to be a Prussian Garde Pickelhaube. Is this true by what you can tell?

Only way from the photos would be the wappen and the cockades to my knowledge but they are both missing. But the ink stamps would tell you what depot it was issued.

Ok. Once the helmet is delivered i will post more pictures. Since the guy said that it is a Prussian Garde helmet. I will just get a Prussian Garde wappen and cockades. But once I post more pictures maybe you guys will be able to clearify that. Thanks for giving me these answers.

3 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

I don't believe this would be private purchase as it doesn't have a officers spike, just a enlisted mans spike. Also this doesn't seem to be a 1915 model as the fittings seem to be brass and spike should be detachable. Plus the chin strap is wrong.

The peak edging and cockade posts do appear to appear to be the 1915 field grey painted steel type, though as you say other fittings appear to be have been replaced with whatever came to hand. A bit of a Frankenstein's monster anyhow... 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

The peak edging and cockade posts do appear to appear to be the 1915 field grey painted steel type, though as you say other fittings appear to be have been replaced with whatever came to hand. A bit of a Frankenstein's monster anyhow... 

I didn't see that and spine could be steel also.But I have seen that patina on brass chinstrap posts before. But it's definitely a mishmash of pieces.

Ok. When do you think that this was made. And also, are these original replacements as far as you can tell

Quick question, did the seller sell the chinstrap as original to the helmet?

Edited by Jools mckenna

No

He didn’t specify very well because the seller said he bought it in Berlin and all that he knows is that is supposed to be a 1915 Prussian Garde Pickelhaube with a reproduction chinstrap and plate

In my opinion, pre 1915 or early 1915 if the spike is original to the helmet.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Ok. When I receive the item I will send more pictures so if you guys have any spots that you need me to take pictures of, I can get that to you soon. Also, do you what parts do you think are original replacements (sorry for all of the questions as this is my first Pickelhaube that I have bought).

11 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

In my opinion, pre 1915 or early 1915 if the spike is original to the helmet.

My gut feeling would be it started life as a relatively common wartime 1915 type and typically had the removable spike missing, leaving only the base. Someone has then sourced a one-piece brass spike and added this in place to try and replicate the look of a complete piece. We already know the chinstrap is wrong and been added, the helmet plate is wrong and been added... I really don't believe anything outside the shell, liner, chinstrap posts, peak trim and possibly the rear spine started out life together.

'Splinte' of spike base also iron an doesn't match with brass spike base

43 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

My gut feeling would be it started life as a relatively common wartime 1915 type and typically had the removable spike missing, leaving only the base. Someone has then sourced a one-piece brass spike and added this in place to try and replicate the look of a complete piece. We already know the chinstrap is wrong and been added, the helmet plate is wrong and been added... I really don't believe anything outside the shell, liner, chinstrap posts, peak trim and possibly the rear spine started out life together.

I completely agree with you that the spike was added. 

Edited by Jools mckenna

I don't think it is a wise purchase. I would have waited and saved a little more nd got a better item. If it can be returned I would.