Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment in Constantinople, 1919

Stephen Nulty

I am trying to establish which units (if any) of the South Lancs formed part of the Army of Occupation in Constantinople between 1919 and 1923.

I know the 9th Bn moved there from Salonika, but I am looking into the story of a 2nd Bn man who allegedly served there but am unable to locate any records showing the composition of the occupying force

Grateful for any information or pointers

There is an official history which may include the units involved.

The Occupation of Constantinople 1918–1923 by Brigadier-General J. E. Edmonds. Naval & Military Press. Originally written in 1944 but not then published. 

There are also some War Diaries, although I don't know if the regiment you are interested in has one. 

You could look at WO 95/4964 (which is the last in the series) and then look at the prior entries.

There is also a series WO 154 1914-1920 War Office: War Diaries (Supplementary), First World War

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C14361/

If you scroll down the right hand side of the page far enough you will come to some further items relating to "Salonika, Macedonia, Turkey, Black Sea, Caucasus And South Russia," mainly on a Divisional basis.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, the book looks interesting

I've had a good look through TNA and haven't come up with anything definite. There are a few candidates but you don't know what you're getting until you've stumped up £3.50 each so that's a last resort :-)

• Admin

It was discussed in Parliament in 1922

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1922/apr/04/allied-troops-in-constantinople

I believe the two 'weak' Battalions mentioned were the1st Battalion Irish Guards (deployed April 22 1922) and the Royal East Kent (Buffs) both were definitely there in February 1923 so may post date your research.

He may have been one of the officers attached to the Mission. 

Seems the noble Lord referred to the Army List for his information.

Initially it appears the Army was supplemented by the RN and Marines.  The first troops deployed as you have observed were from the Salonika Army. There were also Indian Army units deployed though efforts were being made to replace these by 1923. 

If he served after 1920 his record may be available at the MoD 

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Ken

On 03/01/2019 at 10:19, Maureene said:

There is an official history which may include the units involved.

The Occupation of Constantinople 1918–1923 by Brigadier-General J. E. Edmonds. Naval & Military Press. Originally written in 1944 but not then published. 

This is an interesting little read, but with no clear detailed OoB.

Gleaned from the above:-

10-11th November 1918 - 28th Div occupied the Dardanelles defences

[19th December 1918 - 27th Div passed through Constantinople on its way to Batum]

March 1919 - 22nd Div demolbilized at Salonika, except for the 9th South Lancashire which transfered to the 28th Div. (also transfered were 9th King's Own & 9th East Lancashire)

16th March 1920 - Constantinople occupied by Allies

2nd October 1923 - Last British troops leave Constantinople

Appendix VI gives 'Statistics' for the Army of the Black Sea OoB as at September 1920, but alas no details re the make-up of the forces

28th Div is simply listed as Troops (together with 242nd Brigade)

Likewise for 1921 on arrival of Gen Harrington, Troops is simply listed as the 28th Div 

Edited by michaeldr

Thanks both, appreciate your input