Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ARMY SERVICE CORPS- MECHANICAL TRANSPORT ENLISTMENT TERMS 1914

Just digging into a local casualty, one Horace Strait-  ASC MT  died of wounds, April 1918 attached to 114 Siege Battery RGA.  His medal card gives him the 1914 Star, with date of service in France from 13th August 1914. I have previously had another casualty (died of TB 1920, post-discharge) similarly ASC MT-but with enlistment given as 26th July 1914.  I am aware that there was a scheme to secure the services of bus drivers and lorry drivers which kicked in when the war began-hence the rapid deployment of Horace Strait to France. But could any kindly colleague and transport enthusiast ( I know you are out there) point me at any good printed sources for how this scheme worked?  The MI Rolls show quite a number of ASC  call-ups for the same date awarded the 1914 Star.  Was this scheme peculiar to London??

A second query is that Horace Strait is described elsewhere as "Category C" enlistment.  As I am completely ignorant as to what this means, could I crave the assistance of colleagues on that as well.

This scheme for pre-war, not sure when it ceased (1913 army return) - I suspect this gives rise to the aforementioned Category C.
image.png.f24af8ce372cc798a984c29e895cf510.png
image.png.4a1df0f64a869c69e64a40615fd484b6.png

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Craig- Fantastic. It worries me that you actually read this stuff but it doesnt seem to have harmed you (too much) thus far.  Happy New Year

It was a vague recollection of having seen it in the annual army returns (harm is relative)

Craig