Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this the same man?

David_Bluestein

Pals please help with this,

Is this the same man?

The man on the right is Major Charles Blair Wilson 42nd Bn. RHC Killed at Courcelette on September 15, 1916.

The photo on the left was sent to me by a kind gentleman who found this postcard with the name Blair Wilson penciled to the back (with the other officers named too).

I desperately want to believe this is him, as it would be an absolutely fantastic find! However the officer shown as Wilson is wearing a ribbon bar (indistinguishable) of a possible award. Wilson was not awarded any decorations. BUT could it be the 1914-15 Star (If so, my question now becomes why are the other two officers not also wearing the same ribbon?)

Look very forward to your thoughts...

Fire away!

post-1-1106244066.jpg

Hello David

Looks a little too wide to be a Star ribbon judging from the pocket flap.

Additionally, the 1914 Star was not instituted until 1917, and the 1914-15 Star not until late 1918. (I have seen a photograph of my g-grandfather in naval uniform wearing just a 1914-15 Star at his wedding in December 1918.)

If so, surely no one up to the time of his death (Sept. '16) would be wearing a Star ribbon?

David,

Ribbon looks to be MC,

Your Two mens eyebrows seem similar,but the 1st one does seem fuller in the Face,though obviously Camera angles & Lighting & Time etc do cast different shadows,did any other Blair Wilsons serve & get the MC?

I know how this feels! :rolleyes:

Ears and eyes seem to fit but the nose seems different, but as others have said the conditions etc could allow for this.

good luck

Arm.

David,

The top lip doesn't look right. The guy in the left pic has a "straight" lip where as the man on the right has a curved lip.

But look at their hairlines.... on their left side... they seem very similar - poss the pic on the left taken 10 or so before the left one.

However, my hunch is that they are brothers.

Les.

I don't think it is the same man.

The nose is different + there is a spot under the right eye of the "scottish" lad.

post-1-1106248252.jpg

I think it is the same man.

Differences are due to age, physical development, experiences. different type of camera & situation.

The 'younger' photo has the air of a Studio picture, with some touching up?

He also has a 'spot' under hisright eye.

Kath.

Guest Pete Wood

I have found a reference to your man's only sister, Esther, being married to Patrick Home Rigg of Tarvit (Yeomanry) on Thursday 8th February 1917.

Were you aware of that, David...??

Hi Kath,

According to David's signature this man gave his life at 21 so I don't think he would have aged that rapidly, even under the stress of combat.

Take care,

Neil

I'd say if they are not the same man they are related

I actually thought eyes, ears, nose, chin and hairline the same

The mouth is my only doubt, but could be artificial pose for camera

Jane

Thank you one and all for those fantastic and thought provoking replies!

Each of you raise many good points, and have me wavering back and forth. I am now convinced that the physical anatomy of both faces (thanks Malcolm!) could very well be the same man. However as Richard points out, the medal ribbon is still an issue?

A side note: There is no other 'Blair-Wilson' in the 42nd Bn RHC. 'Blair' was a very well known original officer of great promise and greatly loved by all his men. His men carried his body from the field and buried him in a road side ceremony under a pouring rain on September 18, 1916. There is much more to the story, but I wont bore you now...

Please keep your comments rolling in, I appreciate all of them!

David

Initially I thought no.....the nose is wrong. But then I looked a litle closer and saw that one officer has his head down slightly and the other tilted slightly up which could account for this.

Hmmm, I know what it's like to hope the answer is yes but I wouldn't bet my house on it. 'Possibly' is the best answer I can give.

Tim L.

I reckon that it's him. Look at the ears. Although, I am more than confused by the medal ribbon.

Presumably, JAM is JA Matthewson?

Was he a relative of yours, David?

Kind Regards,

AGWR

My initial impression for the first picture you posted was that they were not the same.

However, Bkristofs and Malcolms pictures have swayed it towards the men being one and the same.

My initial impression for the first picture you posted was that they were not the same.

However, Bkristofs and Malcolms pictures have swayed it towards the men being one and the same.

David, my wife and I agree with Derek's comments. Initially no, but the closeups clinch it.

Also, I see a big mole under the left eye in both pictures. And the ears. Apparently ears are quite unique, in facial reconstructions/comparisons.

You must be chuffed, as our Limey Pals would say!!

The man on the right (Major CB Wilson) in the original post looks to be around 21 yrs of age, the age at which he was killed. Whereas the man on the left looks a lot older.

Could he be old enough for the Kabul to Kandahar Star?

A medal with quite a wide, light coloured ribbon. Inststuted in 1881.

He would have to be around 45 yrs old in the photo though. That's assuming the photo was taken at the outbreak of war, just thinking about the receding hairline and "Heavy" eyes.

Possible, Y/N ?

Mark

I don't think it is the same man.

The nose is different + there is a spot under the right eye of the "scottish" lad.

Kristof,

To me the spot just looks like some 'foxing' you can see it on other areas of the card, although I could be wrong....... :ph34r: