Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Helmet Cover Markings

JMB1943

Can anyone provide input on the markings of this item?

One image is of the cover as-is, while the other is an enhanced image that reveals the faint stamp in a rectangle.

Happy New Year to all!

Regards,

JMB

268681522_GermHelmCover-1.jpg.14b189b38b444836898f7b33dc59b011.jpg1447075752_GermHelmCover_lbk-2.jpg.746e1e20a0138e24039c8093e499db6b.jpg

BJA XV is the stamp for the clothing inspector / acceptance mark for Army Corp 15. Strassburg. The other looks to be BAX which would be 10 Army Corps. Standard depot / issue markings.

Mr. Trench,

Thanks for that info.

I did subsequently come across “Bekleidungsamt = clothing office” on a different forum, so there is a little more

German militaria in my vocabulary.

Regards,

JMB

Here are some soldiers that worked in BA X (Hannover) these soldiers had special shoulder boards (?) that bore the number of the Bekleidungsamt in Roman numerals just like on the stamp inside the jackets, on helmet-covers etc. Hard to find, because only relatively few soldiers worked there. Also attached a formationstamp of the same unit on fieldpost card.

GreyC

xX_Bekleidungsamt_D.jpg.5b1cf1a815a9ed50bfce0fc0de9d4568.jpgxBekleidungsamt_XAK_R.jpg.7c82b5622be06426bfc4099fb540886e.jpg

Edited by GreyC

GreyC,

Interesting post-card from early in the war; it looks to me like the shoulder-boards are marked “A” or “X”.

Do you see that with the card in-hand?

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB,

sorry for not being clear enough.

As I wrote the soldiers of the Bekleidungsamt all wore the number of their respective Bekleidungsamt in Roman numerals on their shoulder straps. So in this case it is indeed a "X" for the X=10th Armee-Korps (Army-Corps) which sat in Hannover. The only exception was the Bekleidungsamt of the Garde-Korps. Those Soldiers had a "G" on their shoulder straps (see attached photo) for G as in Garde. The colour of the straps was that of the Corps. With the start of the war the Bekleidungsämter were renamed Kriegsbekleidungsämter. The larger ones employed lots of civilian workers.

As a special treat a group of soldiers from the Bekleidungsamt XV Straßburg. One of them might have stamped your helmet cover. All photos from my collection.

GreyC

xGarde_Bekleidungsamt_Berlin1900er.jpg.be77e60518837dc04d657a9b95d5d028.jpgxBekleidungsamtAKXVStrassburg.jpg.bb8f06bb0ed42ce16cd1300073d0544a.jpgxBAK_XV_D.jpg.1d93ac7ea12b12e4b01cd28ab40ea4c8.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Mr Grey,

Thanks for the additional information.

You have some very good quality photos there, with good definition and without creases.

Regards,

JMB