Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A E Wheeler HMS Brittania question.

chaz

final question for the old year, a while ago I bought a picture of the grave of Albert Edward Wheeler who lies in Gibraltar

WHEELER, Albert Edward
Officer’s Steward 2nd Class. PO/L/2737. HMS Britannia R.N. Son of Albert & Eliza Wheeler of 19 Penny St, Weymouth. Died 9.11.1918. Age 24.  Section B Grave 4213 North Front (or Garrison) Cemetery, Gibraltar,

today Ive won another photo of a sailor signed A.E.Wheeler  wearing a " HMS " Cap tally. Dated 12.6.1918. Taken in Malta.
I have read that Brittania was in /around Sierra Leone on 12th June 1918. last entry in the log book I can find is for 30 sept 1918 still in the Sierra Leone region. presumably next log went down with the ship.
 On the morning of 9 November 1918, under the command of Captain Francis Wade Caulfeild, Britannia was on a voyage in the western entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar when she was torpedoed off Cape Trafalgar by the German submarine UB-50.

question is, what is the chance that both pictures are of the same man?

Albert Wheeler L2737 has a record in TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7023056 which would tell you if he had a hospital stay or was a steward at Malta before joining the ship in time for Gibraltar. (no match for Albert Edward with that number). 

If unwilling to spend £3.50 at Kew, Findmypast if you subscribe, or public library if you do not, should have the info.

Should Albert's record show no trace of Malta, there are seven RN men listed as Albert Edward, and I hate to think how many AEs. 

Good luck!

Albert Wheeler L2737 served in HMS Britannia from 16 Dec 1915 until the ship was torpedoed in Nov 1918, according to his record.

So the photo is presumably a different man,

Thanks for clearing that up Neil :)