Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Yarmouth Crew

Mapleneck

I believe the photo below is of Alfred Edward Cartwright, born Gnosall, Staffs, 1897, died 1973. His cap appears to say HMS Yarmouth. Anyone know where I might find crew lists? No luck with finding him on Ancestry or Find My Past and he doesn’t appear on a website dedicated to Jutland, where I believe HMS Yarmouth served.

Many thanks

Roger

608CCB90-966E-4F4D-B863-EADD9EA61D35.jpeg

A sight of his service record will give you the ships he served and the dates he served. I looked in ADM188 on Discovery database but no entry seen for this name and place/date of birth. This site requires payment for seaman records without download but it is possible to see postings if you enlarge the page (just so that you are sure this is the right man before you pay !).

This is a list of 18 Cartwrights born in 1897 who joined the Navy. Do you know an exact birth date for your man?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1900&_q=Cartwright+1897+adm

Not his exact birth date but baptism was 4 July 1897.

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

This is a list of 18 Cartwrights born in 1897 who joined the Navy. Do you know an exact birth date for your man?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1900&_q=Cartwright+1897+adm

Looking at those on the list none of them appear to be likely candidates. I’ll go back and try to find out more about him.

Many thanks to both.

3 hours ago, Mapleneck said:

Not his exact birth date but baptism was 4 July 1897.

Hi,

If he died in the England in 1973 that I suspect he is the Albert Edward Cartwright whose death was registered in the Stafford District of Staffordshire in the October to December quarter, (Q4) of 1973.

If that is the case then the quarterly index of deaths in England and Wales for any year after 1969 also includes the date of birth – for this man it was the 25th May 1897. However there is no obvious probate for him.

Most likely match on the 1901 Census of England and Wales is the 3 year old Albert Ed. Cartwright, born Gnosall, Staffs, recorded living at Newport Road, Gnosall. This was the household of his parents ‘Thos’ Archibald Cartwright, (35, Baker) and Anne Maria Cartwright, (37) – both born Gnosall. Albert had 4 siblings.

The most likely match for his parents on the 1911 census have them living at New Cottages, Statfold, near Tamworth. Father Thomas, (47, born Gnosall) is now shown as a Cowman on Farm. The couple have been married 18 years and have had 10 children, of which 8 were then still alive. Only five of the eight were home on the night of the census and that doesn’t include Albert. In fact Albert doesn’t appear to be recorded on that Census for England and Wales at all.

One possibile explanation for this was that he was already in the Royal Navy. While ships at sea as well as in in harbour were covered by the census of England and Wales, the exception was where another local census was taking place at the same time. So as a major part of the Home Fleet \ Grand Fleet were stationed in Scarpa Flo, a lot of Royal Navy men are recorded on the Census of Scotland.

I can’t find anything for a Royal Navy or Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve rating that matches those birth details, but he may have lied about his date of birth in order to sign up early or get round the need for his parents to consent to him serving.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thorough piece of work - well done, Peter!

20 hours ago, Mapleneck said:

I believe the photo below is of Alfred Edward Cartwright

Could you be mistaken in the identification? I cannot find any rating (RN, RNR or RNVR) who comes even close to a match with the details given, even allowing for enlistment under a false d.o.b.

Thank you all. I am beginning to question identification, although a number of family members think it is him. There is an Alfred Edward listed in the baptism records for St Lawrence church, Gnosall, parents Thomas Archibald and Anne Marie.

Picking up the Scotland 1911 census suggestion, there is an Alfred Cartwright listed as being Royal Navy, but It’s not him.

Apologies if I’m making 2+2=5, but  it seems there are discrepancies around the name used for the Gnosall born man, (which I’m sort of glad about as I thought I was having a senior moment when I re-read what I’d written :)

The address where they were living in 1901 is showing as being in the Newport Civil Registration District. The birth of an Albert Edward Cartwright, mothers maiden name Cartwright, was recorded in the Newport District, which covered the Shropshire \ Staffordshire border, in the July to September quarter of 1897. You had 42 days after the event to register the birth, so a child born at the end of May and registered at the start of July would just come within that.

The area covered by that registration district can be seen here:-

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/newport1.html

That mothers’ maiden name had me worried for a moment in case there was a single parent whose indiscretion was covered up by Thomas and Anna claiming the baby as their own. The 1911 Census of England and Wales has Thomas and Anna recorded as married 18 years, so they won’t have had a daughter old enough to have had a child in 1897. And checking the marriage records a Thomas Archibald Cartwright married an Annie Maria Cartwright in the Newport District in Q1 of 1893.

There is no birth of an Alfred Edward Cartwright registered in that District at any point of it’s existence and the only one in Staffordshire, (pre-1911), was in 1906. There is no baptism of Albert Edward Cartwright showing up at St Lawrence, Gnosall.

It really does seem to be a case that you never see them both in the same room at the same time :-)

1901 Census extract attached if only just to reassure me I’m not going mad.

Cheers,

Peter

1901 Census of England and Wales Albert Edward Cartwright sourced Genes reunited.jpg

Edited by PRC
Added reference to 42 days

Thanks Peter. Yes, there appear to be two issues, one over the name, Albert or Alfred, the other concerning basic identity of the person in the photo and whether or not he is a Cartwright. No, I don’t think you are going mad!

Roger

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/01/2019 at 10:14, Mapleneck said:

Thanks Peter. Yes, there appear to be two issues, one over the name, Albert or Alfred, the other concerning basic identity of the person in the photo and whether or not he is a Cartwright. No, I don’t think you are going mad!

Roger

Hi roger, did you serve in the hms Yarmouth yourself?