Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Absorbed into Establishment"

BillyH

A soldier I have been looking at was posted to a different battalion of the same regiment towards the end of the war and he was "absorbed into est." of his new battalion.

I am assuming that the est. is short for establishment but I would like to know if there is any particular significance to that term.

Or perhaps it is just simply army speak for 'joined his new battalion'?

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

I think it means he was initially attached to the new battalion rather then transferred to it, then at a later date he was transferred and absorbed into it.

I assume he was fully integrated: for example, the 2nd London Scottish received a draft of a company of Gordons; these were always attached and kept their Gordon badges/tartan, etc. I imagine that had they ever re-badged and adopted Hodden Grey they would have been considered as merged into the establishment, the Gordon Highlanders losing all claim on them.

As suggested, this may well happen if a battalion was disbanded and the presonnel distributed elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. The man in question had been with the 10th Cheshires, who were reduced to cadre strength on 21st June 1918 - shortly before he was 'absorbed into establishment' with the 4th Battalion.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH