Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Corps

Simon Birch

Morning,

Can anyone tell me which Corps the 9th (Scottish) and 12th (Eastern) Divisions belonged to between May 1915 and July 1916?

Thanks in Advance!

Simon

• Admin

Hi Simon

There appears to be a comprehensive history of the Ninth Scottish which the Look Inside does allow quite a bit of the book to be seen including the whole index. Sadly a large number of Corps are listed there so I can't give you a definitive answer! https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-9Th-Scottish-Division/dp/1843421909/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=thebritiarmyi-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=1843421909

i am sure the needed expert will be along soon.

Good luck!

David

LLT helps a little with the dispositions in battles:

9 DIV: Loos with I Corps. Somme with XIII Corps.

12 DIV: Loos with XI Corps (brought in a few days after the Off to replace initial Div). Somme with III Corps.

• Admin

Similar luck with the 12th Eastern history though I suppose by cross referencing the contents pages and the index an idea might be found? https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-12Th-Eastern-Division-Great/dp/1843422646/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=thebritiarmyi-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=1843422646

Sotonmate seems to have got it?

Hello Simon

The orders of battle in class WO95 at Kew give the following:

9th Scottish
9.6.15: I Corps, First Army
1.12.15: V Corps, Second Army
1.1.16: II Corps, Second Army
17.6.16: XIII Corps, Fourth Army
12th Eastern
9.6.15: III Corps, Second Army
1.8.15: II Corps, Second Army
1.12.15: I Corps, First Army
15.7.16: VIII Corps, Reserve Army

Note that these show the allocation as at the given spot dates, and do not indicate when the actual changes took place. It is also possible that allocations changed, and then changed back, during the relevant periods.

During the second half of 1916 there were several reallocations of divisions between Corps in Fourth and Reserve/Fifth Armies. These are given in detail in a chart in, of all places, the Medical Official History relating to that period.

Ron

Gentlemen,

It never ceases to amaze me how much information people can share in such a small period of time.

Just the job so many thanks,

Simon

For my purposes finding which Corps a Division was in at any given moment always requires double checking against as many diaries as possible.

The transfer of divisions to the Reserve Army in June/July 1916 was facilitated by emptying a Corps of divisions then placing 3 or 4 divisions into it and moving that Corps into the reserve army and repeating the process. So a division could move between 3 Corps in as many days. In fact, in late June 16 the Reserve Army itself was 'considered to be a Corps of the 4th Army'

TEW