Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/1st Wessex Divisional Train

ddycher

All

Can anyone help with this ? I had wrongly believed that a 2nd divisional train had not been formed and that when the 1st Wessex Div'l Train was allotted to the 29th Division the unit had effectively been disbanded. There is no ref to a 45th Div'l train in Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions.

I now know though that it did exist, probably established at the end of October 1914, and ran until at least February 1916. There  are a couple of ref's on the web to men from this unit ending up in Italy but I believe this men from the combing out of the ASC to find drafts for the 8th and 9th Devons / 20th Bde / 7th Division.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Regards

Dave

The 2nd Line Wessex Divisional Train was established under the command of Evelyn Hay Pollock on the 31st October 1914. The forming of the 2nd Line and the restructuring of Wessex Div'l Transport and Supply Col both apparently happening simultaneously. Now I have found the connection there is a number of Home Service officers that I am exploring to open up this thread. Still difficult to track down any real detail though.

Regards

Dave 

So how wrong can you be ? Not only was there a full 2nd Line, 501, 502, 503 & 504 Companies commanded by Lt.-Col Evelyn Hay Pollack, but there was also a 3/1st Wessex Div'l Train commanded by Maj. Keith Holman from early 1916 (?). The 2nd / 3rd Line Trains operated from the Drill Hall, Andover throughout the war. Now trying to tie in the 2/1st and 3/1st Wessex Div'l Trains with the Wessex Reserve Bde's. Incredibly difficult but at least I have some names / threads to follow. Will open a separate thread of Evelyn Hay Pollock and see what comes out.

Nobody else have any interest here ?

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

Going to combine multiple threads I have running. Pls see. 

Regards

Dave