Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Mark IV info on Markings and Value?

Hi everyone, I just picked up this pistol from a friend, He basically told me give him whatever I want for it. I was thinking 500$, however finding info on this gun is very difficult. I'm thinking its from 1943 based on the serial number on it. its definitely .455 caliber. but its got some odd numbers on it that are crossed out and I'm curious what they are. Any info will be greatly appreciated, along with what anyone thinks it might be worth, if its worth a good deal more than 500 then i don't want to screw my buddy out of money, Thanks for your time!

Gun1.JPG

Gun2.JPG

Gun3.JPG

Gun4.JPG

Gun5.JPG

Gun6.JPG

Gun7.JPG

Gun8.JPG

Over here in Ireland you would get six months for it...

I'm sure someone more expert than myself will be along shortly, but I think the .455 Mk.IV - as distinct from the .38 version - was prominent around the late 1890s/early 1900s, and long out of production by 1943.

Australian used and owned, also marked to QP which I believe is Queensland Police (with their rack number 282) - there may be lists of QP firearms around - I know there are for their early Enfields. SEE HERE

Chris

Edit $500 would be a bit low IMHO - but if its a friend who is not too worried. HERE IS ONE that sold for $700

Edited by 4thGordons
add info

Yes Chris, certainly issued to the Queensland Police initially (cancelled mark) and then taken into military service with additional Department of Defence stamp. This most likely occurred during WW2 when there was a severe shortage of small arms. Also the D^D stamp looks to be in the 'later' style. The 'Sold out Service' marking would most likely be from the original British contract to supply the revolvers to the Queensland Government.  

Wow thank you all so much for the info! This is an awesome history lesson on the pistol! I only guessed 1943 because I looked up the serial number and that seemed to be when it would have been made but I must have read something wrong. What year then should I assume it’s from? Thanks again for all the info! 

Edited by Guest

I think you are confusing the .380 Mark IV with the .455 Mark IV in your dating attempt. Chris (4thGordons) has it pegged. The .455 Mark IV came on-line in 1899 and the Mark V in 1913.

If you contact https://www.armsresearch.co.uk/ for a fee they may be able to give you a more exact date of production.

• 5 months later...

I have a 1915 webley mark v1 455" with original parts everything third serial number still there not rubbed out. Long barrel with the word england engraved on it. I would like to know if what i have is a good find. Help me please?????????

Edited by Guest

Hi Mike,  I don't understand what you mean by the third serial number.  Are two serial numbers defaced, and another (third) still intact?  Are you in America?  I believe that England was stamped or engraved on British surplus arms imported into the USA prior to 1969.

In my opinion, any Great War arm is a good find.  It has historical value and interest, but I'm sorry that I cannot help with an estimate of its monetary value.  There are people on this board with the expertise to give an approximate price, but they would need to know the condition of the gun.  Photos would help. 

Mike Green,

You may be confusing unit markings with serial numbers. Look at the pictures above the 94171 is the serial number and yours should be in the same place. The third location will be on the rear circumference of the cylinder.

• 3 years later...

As far as my research shows Webley did not make the .455 during ww2 only the mark IV .38 S&W, on the side of the frame on my 1944 example is stamped War Finish , btw I live in Northern Ireland and you can own one if you have a valid Firearms Certificate.

IMG_20220729_141838.jpg

IMG_20220729_142105.jpg

13 hours ago, Keith Campbell said:

As far as my research shows Webley did not make the .455 during ww2

The .455 revolver was officially replaced in 1928.  Bruce and Reinhart "Webley Revolvers" (1988) indicates "1939 as the last production year for the .455 MkVI " (by that point known as the Pistol, Revolver, .455" No1 Mark VI) -- p208

They also say that this span 1914-1939 is the longest production span of all Webley Service Revolvers. They quote the highest serial number observed (in 1988 ie before the internet!) as 455231.

Skennerton (British Small Arms of WWII 1988: 24) reports contracts for MkVI revolvers being signed in 1940 (and some undated) to a total of 25,969.  It is not reported if these contracts were fulfilled. Contracts for repairs/parts were being signed up through 1942.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I have a unit marked and officer named Webley numbers matched with a mirror bore, that looks to be shaved. His name is Captain F. Dingley and is mentioned in the book, " Birmingham pals."  Nice find for 400 bucks I think...

PXL_20220908_002242523.jpg

PXL_20220908_002334661~2.jpg

PXL_20220908_002322654~2.jpg

PXL_20220908_002623924.jpg

PXL_20220908_002503478.jpg

• 1 month later...

Heck, that's a nice find!

On 30/12/2018 at 19:31, museumtom said:

Over here in Ireland you would get six months for it...

Not in the North, you can own one if you have a firearms certificate and belong to a gun club. I have 2 a 1944 38 and a 1918 455 mk V1 

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum Jody. Your query is off topic for this forum, which deals with WW1 only. I would suggest that you try ww2talk.com.
Members can of course carry on discussion re your mark 1V via private messages, but not on this thread. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Welcome….

Looks to be a sold out of service stamp, that has been officially cancelled out.

see here…http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

Dave.

Agree, Dave.

Several scenarios suggest themselves but basically some variant of a weapon that was sold into private ownership (maybe an individual or maybe an organization) and then (perhaps later in early WWII when there was a shortage of weapons and an appeal for such) taken back into official govt ownership.

Chris