Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wessex Divisional Journal

ddycher

All

As you can see from other recent posts back to hunting for detail on the Wessex Division. Does anyone have any copies of or details on the Wessex Divisional Journal first published in 1909. Trying to determine if it was still going by the start of the war and where possible copies are kept. 

I would appreciate any pointers. 

Regards

dave

Edited by ddycher

Have you asked any of the Regimental Museums of units that were in the Division?  

Wiltshires - The Wardrobe, Salisbury

Hampshires - Winchester

Devons & Dorsets - The Keep, Dorchester

DCLI - Bodmin

Som LI - Taunton (Part of the County collection)

Have not Gareth. Came across it again today when I was cross referencing early Divisional Staff. Will ping them though. 

Thanks

Dave

A quick search shows that the Wardrobe has copies from 1909 - 1913 but nothing later.

Thanks. 

Will follow up 

Dave

For anyone interested this was an off shoot of the Divisions ”Tactical Society” and it was edited by Lt.-Col. G. R. Fitz R. Talbot. Talbot then commanded the 4th Wessex Bde. He replaced Edward Fanshawe as CRA on 16th September 1914. 

regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

Not sure that it is of interest to you but there is the Record of the 3rd Devonshire Battery (Tavistook), $th Wessex Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (T.F.) - The Great War 1914-1919 that contains a nominal roll of the battery with details.

Would be interested Dick as this should cite Talbot mentioned above. I have edited in his subsequent appointment with Wessex Division.

Regards

Dave

Talbot is not mentioned in the book and that is probably not surprising as he was an acting CRA of the division only from 16 Sept 14 to 21 Sep 14 which was prior to embarkation.  It appears that he never entered a theatre of war as he only received a British War Medal for service in India.

Edited by rflory

Dick

I think he remained with the 4th Wessex. Its a shame. He's a difficult man to pin down.

Regards

Dave