Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M71/94 Daudeteau conversion

Steve1871

The start of the Great War caught everyone by surprise. Many countries re-issued older arms to free up their newest guns for front line troops. For Germany, who was in a slow peace time transition from the 88 rifle to the Gew98, they had a large stock pile of the obsolete M71 rifles and carbines as well as still in limited use in their colonies.. The M71 was used by second line troops during 1914-15 and we're still on hand in the colonies even later

The Dauteteau conversion , converted to the 6.5 mm cartridge was not used in the Great War ,simply a conversion of the most widely used second line arm. Hope you Gent's enjoy the pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Few extra pic's I forgot

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You are certainly building up a museum-grade collection there with these and others Steve!

Edited by trajan

Thanks Julian! I still feel like a humble little upstart at times, basically living out of a truck, I have no room for a bunch of books to study and reference. Bought " Noell's" spelling? Book on markings, but be awhile till get home to get it.In collecting, the more you learn, the less you find you know, At times, I can feel like a blooming idiot

35 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Thanks Julian! I still feel like a humble little upstart at times, basically living out of a truck, I have no room for a bunch of books to study and reference. Bought " Noell's" spelling? Book on markings, but be awhile till get home to get it.In collecting, the more you learn, the less you find you know, At times, I can feel like a blooming idiot

I can guess that it must be very difficult for you...

Jeff Noll's book is handy for many things but it needs some re-organising to make it really useful - and many more unit markigs are known: e.g., just from the Carter volumes. My own list of markings - which I haven't updated for a year - has some 5,000, I think. I want to get these organised one day by unit, etc., to make it easier to use, so that, for example, if you have a marking reading "3.P" you can find the unit plus other examples, but also to use it as means of checking the supply of weapons to the German army, e.g., peaks and troughs of weapons supply by years and by maker to the various units. It will be a mammoth task, though... Oh, and yes, the more you know, the more you find you don't know... Unless you take the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" approach: the answer to all the ultimate questions of life, the universe, and everything else, is simply 42. So don't worry - we all go through the blooming idiot stage, and never really get out of it!

Thanks, being a collector can be wonderfully frustrating at times.

50 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Thanks, being a collector can be wonderfully frustrating at times.

Too true! Try doing it with a limited income and two boys to pay school fees for , and a small flat!!!!

Now you are just being modest Julian!. With all your study.library on the subjects, which in part, you created with your own studies and list you compiled, add your multiple languages to translate . You are at the very top of the game, so to speak.

Thanks for all you do for me and the rest of us, collectors and the newly curious on bayonets and the confusing but intriguing world of regimental units / markings

2 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Now you are just being modest Julian!. With all your study.library on the subjects, which in part, you created with your own studies and list you compiled, add your multiple languages to translate . You are at the very top of the game, so to speak.

Thanks for all you do for me and the rest of us, collectors and the newly curious on bayonets and the confusing but intriguing world of regimental units / markings

Thanks Steve... I do my best and am still learning!