trevor

george s page.JPG

65.jpg

67t86t8.jpg

76t67t.JPG

Hi Trevor,

21 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

yes the bars are hallmarked

That's interesting. Each of the bars seems to have the Birmingham mark, and date stamp which co-responds to the year show on the front. The 1916 one appears to have been made by W.M. Dowler & Sons; the 1917 one possibly by Vaughton & Sons. The 1918 one - I can't quite make out the makers mark. Rhetorical question - I wonder why there isn't a bar for 1915?

Regards

Chris

Hi,

I don't think that the medallion/'bars' being made and assayed in Birmingham can tell us one way or another about where he lived and worked. I think that the key is linking the 185110 number to some St John Ambulance (or other) records. Do they have an archives section? Are the service details in post #1 linked by the number?

Regards

Chris

Hi,

I don't know, but hopefully someone else will...are people that volunteered/served with the St John Ambulance included in the database of those that volunteered/served with the Red Cross?

Regards

Chris

Chris,

At the end of the war the Red Cross didn't actually know what their members had done. They therefore sent out questionaires to all members {including S.J.A.B.}. This resulted in the cards included in the BRC website. This all depended on members telling the Red Cross what they had done. Some members didn't reply because their address had changed, some had died, and some perhaps didn't want to reply. Although probably not relevant here, Scottish members do not seem to survived, apart from those who served abroad, or in an English/Irish/Welsh unit, although there are a few exceptions.

Regards,

Alf McM

St John Ambulance has its own archives if I recall correctly.

Edited by seaJane

Thanks Alf McM,

That's interesting. I didn't know that. On that basis, it sounds like we can't 100% rule out that the service details don't relate to the medallion. I guess that the way for Trevor to go is to track down the archives that seaJane thinks exists, to see if they can help.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Trevor,

I think that George Page mentioned on the Red Cross record card is George Page mentioned in the FMP newspaper article. However, he doesn't appear to be the person mentioned on the medal.

Regards,

Alf McM

as a last resort i have contacted the paper that issued the obituary

to see if any relatives know if mr page had a middle name.

as with army records and census details some times middle names are not listed

trevor 

Trevor,

It was common at the time for the mother's maiden surname to be used as a middle name, even if it didn't appear on a child's birth certificate.

Regards,

Alf McM