Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmets

In my opinion and only my opinion if you leave the helmet alone then the asbestos will remain undisturbed and reduce your risk. Asbestos becomes a risk when you cut it break it or drill it. I have several WW1 helmets and would not consider removing any part of the liner as I do not believe the risk warrants it. Just my opinion of course.

Mark

6 minutes ago, mark holden said:

In my opinion and only my opinion if you leave the helmet alone then the asbestos will remain undisturbed and reduce your risk. Asbestos becomes a risk when you cut it break it or drill it. I have several WW1 helmets and would not consider removing any part of the liner as I do not believe the risk warrants it. Just my opinion of course.

Mark

I agree with all Mark has said, put it on display as an iconic reminder and handle it as little as possible. Mine is in a glass fronted cabinet, so apart from replacing a precautionary moth control cassette every 6 or 12 months, I don't have to disturb it.

Dave

I have a few and am still here 30 years after my first one purchased. Usually asbestos is hidden below a wool pad and if left undisturbed and unmessed with you will be fine. 

Kulio,

I would not be that cavalier regarding asbestos, since lung cancer is a particularly nasty way to go.

There is a huge legal industry in the US, where lawyers solicit shipyard workers who have mesothelioma derived from long-term exposure to asbestos.

Are there likely to be youngsters handling your helmet?

My relic shell contains a half-inch square of white material under the top rivet.

Just in case it contained ANY asbestos, I coated it with a linseed oil/beeswax mix that I had on hand to seal in any fibres that might want to float around.

You could use anything similar, e.g. varnish.

Regards,

JMB

5 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Kulio,

I would not be that cavalier regarding asbestos, since lung cancer is a particularly nasty way to go.

There is a huge legal industry in the US, where lawyers solicit shipyard workers who have mesothelioma derived from long-term exposure to asbestos.

Are there likely to be youngsters handling your helmet?

My relic shell contains a half-inch square of white material under the top rivet.

Just in case it contained ANY asbestos, I coated it with a linseed oil/beeswax mix that I had on hand to seal in any fibres that might want to float around.

You could use anything similar, e.g. varnish.

Regards,

JMB

I spent a good few years working in an old factory, working as a kiln burner which often used "safe" asbestos alternatives, and saw a couple of the older chaps retire with asbestosis or similar diseases...only later did we hear of their passing. Now the dangers of the once wonder material are known, we can't escape it but we can treat it with caution, and prevention is far better than cure.

Dave.