Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Multiple Serial Numbers

Dominion

I'm trying to dig into some more information on my family's involvement in the war. From all the searching so far I have only found a single document pertaining to any relevant information. 

I'm looking for information on George Percy Alexander. He was a Private in the 6th Welsh TF with the serial numbers 6398, 15708, 267099. Why woud a single soldier have been assigned three numbers, and do they hold specific significance?

Is your document his Medal and Award roll, dated 1919? Infantry Base Depot

267099 would be issued 1st January 1917 thereabouts replacing 15708 if the chronology is as written. Two TF numbers suggest either two separate engagements in the same or different units. May have been TF prewar but re-enlisted if time expired.

Roop

6 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Is your document his Medal and Award roll, dated 1919? Infantry Base Depot

Yes that is the only thing I've managed to find. 

Thank you for the information so far guys, I appreciate the assistance!

• Admin
8 hours ago, Dominion said:

Yes that is the only thing I've managed to find. 

Thank you for the information so far guys, I appreciate the assistance!

He joined one of the TF Battalions of the Welsh Regiment and as above, was allocated the 4 digit number.  The third line Battalions were converted to Reserve Battalions in 1916.  Men from these Battalions were drafted to the BEF as required.  We may be able to pin down which TF Battalion by reference to his home address.

However, based on surviving service records and the Medal Rolls he was in a draft from one of the Reserve Battalions (probably the 4th) posted to France in December 1916.

The draft embarked Southampton on the 20 December 1916 and arrived at the Base Depot at Rouen the following day.  They were posted to the 1/6th on the 2nd January 1917 and renumbered in the 5 digit 157** series under the terms of Army Order 204 and ACI 1499 of 1916.  This Order essentially meant TF men were now subject to the terms of service of Regular or New Army recruits.

Nevertheless he was posted to a TF Battalion and all the men serving in the Battalion were renumbered in March 1917 as described by pals above and under the terms of ACI 2414/16.  The numbers for the draft were sequential on each renumbering.

The war diary records that the Battalion was ‘considerably augmented’ during the month of January 1917 with 104 other ranks joining on the 4th of the month. Total reinforcements during the month were 162 other ranks. Therefore the numbers tell you he was in that draft.

Ken