Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1901 and 1911 Census Returns please. What are they indexed under?

Bardess

1901- there is a four year old Clarence Bonner b Birmingham living with grandparents Edwin and Charlotte Webb in Camberwell

Here are Frederick and Oscar in 1891 - with parents Thomas and Ann

Name Frederick Bonner
Event Type Census
Event Date 1891
County Warwickshire
Parish Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish ST MARTINS
Registration District Birmingham
Residence Note Allison Street
Gender Male
Age 4
Occupation Scholar
Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
Birth Year (Estimated) 1887
Birthplace Warwickshire, England
Page Number 32
Registration Number RG12
Piece/Folio 2383/ 110
Household
Role
Sex
Edward Bennett Head M 33 Warwickshire, England
Harriet Bennett Wife F 33 Warwickshire, England
Harry Bennett Son M 11 Warwickshire, England
Edward Bennett Son M 6 Warwickshire, England
Harriet Bennett Daughter F 2 Warwickshire, England
Thomas Bonner Lodger M 29 Worcestershire, England
Annie Bonner Lodger F 28 Warwickshire, England
Frederick Bonner Lodger M 4 Warwickshire, England
Oscar Bonner Lodger M 2 Warwickshire, England
Citing this Record

"England and Wales Census, 1891," database with images, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W2N4-4T2 : 10 December 2017), Frederick Bonner in household of Edward Bennett, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England; from "1891 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast(http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO RG 12, Warwickshire county, subdistrict, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.

Could Rhoda/Ann have married someone else before marrying John Fitzpatrick? An Annie Bonner married in 1900- either to Flowers or Smith- I had a quick look for John Fitzpatrick marriages but no real joy.

Another alternative for your John and Ann "Bonner" in 1911. I have seen before where a couple weren't married and they appear under the WIFE'S surname (as do all the children). My guess is that the census taker called round while John was at work and started proceedings by asking her her name- being unmarried to the man of her life she gave her current surname (Bonner), the census taker has then written down the "husband's" name using the wife's surname (this is a guess mind but fits the facts when the whole family show up under her previous married name) 

For those that are interested the family I spotted this in originally is the family of Glyndwr Michael "the man that never was" , you will find him in 1911 as Glyndwr Cottrell with parents Thomas "Cottrell" (Michael) and Sarah Cottrell (ne Chadwick) (indexed as Cothell)

Oh, goodness, I hate to disappoint you but I already had this information. Rhoda Jane [?] Newsom married John Bonner in 1886 and John died in 1898. [In the 1891 Census the family were living in the Bordesley district of Birmingham.] I don't think she married John Fitzpatrick [or, if she did I haven't located it] and 1901 the family were Fitzpatrick and in 1911 [for possibly the reason you guess at] they are Bonner.

Clarence John Earnell Bonner was born in 1897 and his mother's maiden name was Earnell, so not part of this family.

Thank you for taking an interest and I'm sorry you've wasted a good couple of hours here but it is really appreciated.