Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

x3 Turnbull brothers - Royal Field Artillery / Royal Garrison Artillery

ajt55

Trying to track any extra records for:

James Turnbull, born roughly 1876/77. Last residence on the 1911 census was 3 George Street, Murton, County Durham. Married to Jane Turnbull (nee Hughes) 20228 34th Labour Corps. And also Durham Light Infantry, No: 64225 it would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Turnbull, born roughly 1881/82. Last Residence was on 1911 census, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Unmarried. 134277 of the Royal Field Artillery. 32nd D.A.C.

John Turnbull, born roughly 1881. From the 1911 census was, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Married, for under one year, to who unknown. 176844 of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Would be interested to see my x2 Great-Grandad and Uncles service records (if they exist) or see whereabouts they served/any other details.

Thanks

A

Edited by ajt55

Hello A, 

Before we go looking for these men, are 100% sure you have the right men from their service numbers.... Saves going down any rabbit holes. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Hello A, 

Before we go looking for these men, are 100% sure you have the right men from their service numbers.... Saves going down any rabbit holes. 

Andy 

As far as I know, everything is 100% that I have Andy.

James Turnbull of number 3 George Street, attribute cause for Pension was Rheumatism. 

Medal Card & Roll doesn't give too much DLI info, other than a large number of DLI moved across at the same time, first pass at looking at near numbered men doesn't give uo much either. 

Perhaps a 23 Wks Btn man then transferred to the 7th Labour Coy, Labour Corps in 1917. 

Screenshot_20181227_172929.jpg

Nothing too conclusive for Robert either that I can see, other than he a may have been a Derby Scheme man, 134284 arrested in to the RFA in Dec 1915, and Mobilised in March 1916.

I can help with family:

John Turnbull b 26.8.1880

Hannah P Turnbull b 20.6.1877 (nee Simpson)

Alan J Turnbull b 22.1.1917

from 1939 Register for Eastleigh and Civil Registration Marriage Index.

Not so up to speed on military matters though!

George

Edit: Hannah Pemberton Simpson

Edited by George Rayner
new info

15 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

I can help with family:

John Turnbull b 26.8.1880

Hannah P Turnbull b 20.6.1877 (nee Simpson)

Alan J Turnbull b 22.1.1917

from 1939 Register for Eastleigh and Civil Registration Marriage Index.

Not so up to speed on military matters though!

George

George,

The Alan J Turnbull DoB  seems to match up with other 17684# men, as they enlisted in Sept 1917 from the couple I can see, 176843 being one of them

Andy

Also:

Robert Turnbull b 9.1.1883

Elizabeth Turnbull b. 29.2.1896 

+ three redacted records on 1939 register

James Turnbull b 11.5.1876

Jane Turnbull b 14.2.1877

Gladys Turnbull, became Boad? b 5.1.1905

David H Turnbull . 16.2.1917

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it will be able to carry on trying to research with only a service number at all? To try and pinpoint their location etc, if their service records don't seem to be available?

With Georges Post, David 'H' Turnbull, I'm sure he was at Dunkirk Beach and was one of the ones unfortunately who didn't make it off the beach. So will be the correct family!

Thanks

A

• 2 months later...

Hello I am the grandson of James and Jane Turnbull of 3 George Street Murton.   Your information about Gladys Turnbull  becoming Boad is correct as she was

my mother, but David H Turnbull who was her brother was not killed at Dunkirk but was captured by the Germans at some point and freed at the end of the war when he returned to Britain and lived in Coventry near to his other sister Helen Turnbull.   I am wondering which  line of the family you are from as I see you're from Durham, where my Grandmother Jane originated from (Railway Street Brandon)   I do not have any info on Military Service Records for my Grandad James as my Mother always referred to him being a barman at Murton Victoria Club but would be interested in any information you have and likewise if I can give you any personal info I will be happy to do so

MCB

• 7 months later...
On 07/04/2019 at 19:15, Malcolm Boad said:

Hello I am the grandson of James and Jane Turnbull of 3 George Street Murton.   Your information about Gladys Turnbull  becoming Boad is correct as she was

my mother, but David H Turnbull who was her brother was not killed at Dunkirk but was captured by the Germans at some point and freed at the end of the war when he returned to Britain and lived in Coventry near to his other sister Helen Turnbull.   I am wondering which  line of the family you are from as I see you're from Durham, where my Grandmother Jane originated from (Railway Street Brandon)   I do not have any info on Military Service Records for my Grandad James as my Mother always referred to him being a barman at Murton Victoria Club but would be interested in any information you have and likewise if I can give you any personal info I will be happy to do so

MCB

Hello Malcolm,

I have sent you a PM to your inbox and also on Facebook. Would be lovely to talk.

Thank you,

Andrew