Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

120th US aero squadron

This was formed in 1917, initially in Texas but shipped over on the Carmania in 1917, where the squadron broke into three sections for training as the UK was in advance in aero technology at that time. 

The Squadron never did get to be pilots but were involved in repair and maintenance, Avro being the type of plane that my grandfather who I think is called Ellis Jones  trained in the care of.  Although these boys never achieved their Pilot ambitions, this was no bad thing in terms of average lifespan and, judging by the one photo I have, seem a very charming, not terribly military and lively bunch.

The 120th was disbanded in the early 1920s, but if anyone has any information at all  about the squadron or about Ellis Jones, I would be delighted to hear from you - and to exchange the informatin that I have about this little known ww1 chapter.

There is some information on the formation and movements of the 120 th in Wikipaedia, under 120 fighter squadron descendents of the original unit. Also a photo of some of the personnel, sadly not named individually.Many squadrons and pilots came to Britain to train withe RFC and RAF ( after 1/4/18) but with many not completing training before the end of hostilities . Most were fairly quickly returned to the USA and disbanded.

• 1 month later...

Hi Maggie and others,

My great-grandfather, Lester E. Hodges, enlisted on December 10, 1917 and immediately reported to Ellington Field, Houston, Texas. Like the Salientguide said, there is a Wikipedia page on the 120th, in case you've not seen it yet. I know from family that Lester was a plane mechanic and served in Tours, France, which seems to be in alignment with what is said in the Wikipedia information about the 120th. I also know from his Service Record (which I found on FamilySearch, so you might try there if you haven't already) that he was a Corporal, left for overseas on February 16, 1918 (presumably aboard the Carmania), served most of his time with the 120th, but after the Armistice was switched over to the 102nd. He then was honorably discharged in May 1919 and per family, he came home aboard the USS Von Steuben, so your grandfather might have as well. Lester told my uncle a story about when his unit had been involved in some amount of hostilities and described a situation where after during/after the fighting, he tried to help a man next to him who had gotten terribly injured and fell down, but when Lester lifted the man's helmet he realized it was too late. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows when or where this group could have experienced something like that? 

Mate,

While this sound bad it maybe not enemy action since by his record he never made it to the front.

But the Airforce like many rear units had many accidents, and aircraft were an accident waiting to happen if you didn't take care.

This sounds like he may have seen some one hit by a propeller either during starting or some other way.

Then again I maybe wrong

Sorry

S.B

• 3 years later...
On 16/02/2019 at 23:21, Guest said:

Hi Maggie and others,

My great-grandfather, Lester E. Hodges, enlisted on December 10, 1917 and immediately reported to Ellington Field, Houston, Texas. Like the Salientguide said, there is a Wikipedia page on the 120th, in case you've not seen it yet. I know from family that Lester was a plane mechanic and served in Tours, France, which seems to be in alignment with what is said in the Wikipedia information about the 120th. I also know from his Service Record (which I found on FamilySearch, so you might try there if you haven't already) that he was a Corporal, left for overseas on February 16, 1918 (presumably aboard the Carmania), served most of his time with the 120th, but after the Armistice was switched over to the 102nd. He then was honorably discharged in May 1919 and per family, he came home aboard the USS Von Steuben, so your grandfather might have as well. Lester told my uncle a story about when his unit had been involved in some amount of hostilities and described a situation where after during/after the fighting, he tried to help a man next to him who had gotten terribly injured and fell down, but when Lester lifted the man's helmet he realized it was too late. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows when or where this group could have experienced something like that? 

With apologies for the delay, thank you so much for sharing your family history .. it is thrilling to think these men may have known one another! It’s also good to see the WW1 incarnation of the 120th on wikepedia. Still looking and will keep you updated! All best wishes

• 5 months later...

So it looks like My Grandfather George W. Happ went to France with the 120 aero squadron (Colorado National Guard? ) Feb. 1918 as a private at the age of 16 and then was transferred to the 107th Aero Squadron, photo section where he made Corporal.