Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lanarkshire Yeomanry

vinniemac

Looking for any information on Lanarkshire Yeomanry in the Douglas,Lanarkshire area in or about 1914.Originally assumed my Grandfathervwas in Glasgow Yeomanry but this wasn’t the case.

Edited by vinniemac

Dear All,

I have medals and portraits of an NCO (Robert Hunter, later commissioned into the RFA), Lanarkshire Yeomanry.

K356495121_522CplHunterLanarkYeo.JPG.1045566d08288f54b5123c3dfadd5cbb.JPG1603350058_ProbablyL-CplRobertHunterLanark_Yeo_1915.jpg.53e0a90788eec8a8634f1f0484cc9a18.jpgindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks for showing us these photos,fascinating.

Dear vinniemac,

My pleasure.

This is what Robert Hunter looked like as an Officer - and these are the medals he won.

Kindest regards, 

Kim.617600144_HunterLtR.JPG.1314986d1681fa7f6a306af5575f05b6.JPG1017146150_2LtR.HunterLanarkYeo-Cpland2LtRFASR.JPG.51eb32e017f948b8ac9585cd8e656a6b.JPG

i have a copy of 'The Yeoman' - a magazine made by the Ayrshire Yeomanry, Lanarkshire Yeomanry, Lothians and Border Horse, and Queen's Own Glasgow Yeomanry while they were in Fife before leaving for Gallipoli. If you give me his name I can have a scan through to see if he's mentioned (if he is, it would normally be for sporting achievements). Robert Hunter isn't mentioned.

Dear All,

There is also the 138-page publication (2014) of "Dust, Sand & Mud: The Lanarkshire Yeomanry in WWI" by Campbell Thomson & Agnes McEwan.

Robert Hunter is mentioned on p.20 as a L/Cpl.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Folks

Where can I find a copy of the publications mentioned above? My Great Uncle 1115 David Martin , joined the Lanarkshire Yeomanry in 1915 but then seemed to transfer to 12th RSF and then RE (ROD) (both in 1917) , but I then found reference (it was wikipedia) that seems to merge the Ayrshire and Lanarkshire into the 12 RSF. So trying to understand the connection between them ( if there is one) 

Regards

Sue

Dear Sue,

"Dust, Sand & Mud" (which has an imprint: 'South Lanarkshire Rural Partnership'), may be now out of print. However, you could try to contact the author, Campbell Thomson, a very nice man, of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry Association, online.

As you can see by the Medal Index Card of Robert Hunter, the two units did indeed merge to become the Royal Scottish Fusiliers, and the men were re-numbered.

Kindest regards,

Kim.1250229837_RobertHunterMIC.jpg.94cbd530f5bd2df115829ef9ff7071f3.jpg

Sue, the magazine I mentioned had three editions. The Imperial War Museum has a copy, as does the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. I have a leather-bound copy which I picked up from the internet several years ago, and which used to belong to the man who edited it (Lieut Marshall of the Lothian and Borders Horse).