Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elizabeth Johnston, Telephonist: 25 December 1918

rolt968

• 5 months later...

Does anybody, by any chance, have a copy of the booklet printed for the event "Love and Loss" ???

1002878906_ElizabethJohnstonLoveandLoss.png.8e378098b9e7d6c5c4aef4cf00f5a2b9.png

It's advertised for sale here http://www.anstrutherburghcollection.org/books/after-the-armistice-love-and-loss-the-life-and-death-of-elizabeth-johnston-qmaac/

but the shop here http://www.anstrutherburghcollection.org/shop/ no longer seems to hold it.

I suppose it might be worth contacting them in case the author can be persuaded to reprint?

Thanks SeaJane!!!

M.

6 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Thanks SeaJane!!!

M.

Hi,Marilyne- Google shows a very full and informative article by Kevin Dunion available online at:

6 Dec 2018 - Forgotten letters deliver a vibrant portrait of the life – and death – of ... by Professor Kevin Dunion uncovered a wartime tale of love and loss.

May answer some/all questions

Great find, thank you so much!!

I'll be visiting her grave (and the other ladies buried in Rouen) wednesday and I'm now running to have ALL the stories!

the Girl whose death she witnessed in hospital lays only 3 graves further: it's Winifred Steele!

M

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say, as the author, that the bookshop page has been updated and my booklet about Elizabeth Johnston is now available at http://www.anstrutherburghcollection.org/bookshop/ 

Last year to mark the 100th anniversary of our death we had a number of events in Anstruther, including erecting a plaque on the house where she lived. 

Kevin Dunion  

Elizabeth Johnston plaque .jpg

Edited by FifeWar

Thank you!

Eagerly awaiting arrival at HQ - Heverlee Quarters !! 

M.

On 27/05/2019 at 17:50, Marilyne said:

the Girl whose death she witnessed in hospital lays only 3 graves further: it's Winifred Steele!

M

thought the pic might be of interest: Left of the pic Winifred; far right Elizabeth

1725730100_Johnston-Steele.JPG.1872250f24f15dc2b06126c8e5a589d3.JPG

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:33, FifeWar said:

Just to say, as the author, that the bookshop page has been updated and my booklet about Elizabeth Johnston is now available at http://www.anstrutherburghcollection.org/bookshop/ 

Last year to mark the 100th anniversary of our death we had a number of events in Anstruther, including erecting a plaque on the house where she lived. 

Kevin Dunion  

Elizabeth Johnston plaque .jpg

I will look for that next time I am in Anstruther.

Marilyne, I am currently researching Elsie Janet Underwood. She was a nurse from Worcestershire who joined the Scottish Women's Hospital and was placed to Sallanches Grand Hotel (converted to a hospital) which I believe to be also known as Depraz-Depland's Villa, Megeve Road, Sallanches. She died there of influenza on the 21st October 1918, aged 33. I have a note that she was (and is) buried in Sallanches cemetery. Her mother had her remains "dug up" and reburied in another part of the cemetery where the Serbs were buried. Because she was Scottish Women's Hospital her grave is not one that is commemorated by the CWGC. But I would like to think that she is still remembered. If, on your jaunts across France, you should be near Sallanches, I should be grateful if you would spend a little time in the cemetery trying to find her. It is, of course, possible that she does not have a grave marker but as her mother went to the expense of moving the body I cannot believe that she would not have done so.  

jim, 

this is VERY interesting information. I actually do not have her on my list yet!!

but the "if, in my jaunts across France, I should be near Sallanches" ... that's near the Mont Blanc !!!!! I'm not sure I'll get there very soon... 

M.

On 10/06/2019 at 10:58, Marilyne said:

jim, 

this is VERY interesting information. I actually do not have her on my list yet!!

but the "if, in my jaunts across France, I should be near Sallanches" ... that's near the Mont Blanc !!!!! I'm not sure I'll get there very soon... 

M.

Thank you.