Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'N' Special Company Royal Engineers

Mangoman

Unfortunately the War Diary for the above is not available from the NA so I am hoping that someone may be able to help me to locate the whereabouts of this Company on 25.8.1916? My man was awarded a wound stripe for being wounded on this date and am keen to establish how and when this happened?

Mangoman

N Special Company was part of 4th Battalion Special Brigade, which has a war diary WO 95/122/1.  Company war diaries for the SB did not start until March 1917.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 3 weeks later...

129322 Pioneer James Powell 'N' Special Company, Royal Engineers. I have obtained copies of two Wills that this man made while with 73 and 64 Sections in 1917. What significance did these sections have within the Special Companies?

A section in the SB was similar to that of an infantry platoon, commanded by a 2Lt or Lt . In 1916, there were six sections to a company. 73 section was part of N Coy in 1916.  In 1917 there was a reorganisation and the companies were reduced by one section with the men being redistributed. 63 Section was with L Coy in 1916 but moved to N Coy in 1917 , 73 Section was with N Coy in 1916 but became part of P Coy in 1917. I suspect he made his first will just around the change over and had redo it.

His number was issued around March/April 1916

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Can you tell me which Company 64 Section was previously with please?

Manynthanks indeed for your assistance Terry. It's a great help.