Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Corrin, Irish Guards, Distinguished Service Medal?

hen190782

Good Morning

The Guinness Roll of Honour records that Henry Corrin was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, which I understood was only awarded to naval personnel in the Great War.

I think his service number is 7093 but I cannot find a reference in London Gazette for Corrin 7093 and I cannot find entries on the Ancestry catalogues for MM awards or DCM awards.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Nigel

WP_20181009_11_23_10_Pro.jpg

4 hours ago, hen190782 said:

..... the Distinguished Service Medal, which I understood was only awarded to naval personnel in the Great War.

It was for bravery at sea. So yes primarily for naval personnel, but Army and RAF personnel serving afloat would have been eligible (for example, anti-aircraft gunners on merchant vessels). But it seems most unlikely for a Guardsman!

If it was a mistaken entry, and should have read Distinguished Conduct medal, that seems more plausible.

However, I've looked on FindmyPast, and like you I can find nothing on Henry Corrin except for his MIC.

???

It might be an error but there is another man on that Roll who is also listed as having been awarded the DSM - George F Woods 2nd Bn Irish Guards.

Thanks, KB, yes I came across woods as well - again, could not find reference to gallantry award on LG or other sources.

Hi,

I’ve had a look through the online Irish Guards WW1 2 Volume Regimental History by Kipling.

A word search for Corrin drew a blank and a look through the Honours & Awards in the Volume 2 Appendices reveals no awards of any description to any Corrin.

As the OP information is sourced from a unofficial non military source I think it would be fair to conclude that an error has been made in compilation of the Guinness list and Corrin was not awarded a DSM.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for checking the online Irish Guards history - I would be grateful for a link to that resource.

Nigel

1 hour ago, hen190782 said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for checking the online Irish Guards history - I would be grateful for a link to that resource.

Nigel

Hi,

Volume One Link - 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015008521158;view=2up;seq=10;skin=mobile

Volume Two Link - 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015008521000;view=2up;seq=12;skin=mobile

You ought to be able to download and keep each volume for free.

Steve

6 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Volume One Link - 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015008521158;view=2up;seq=10;skin=mobile

Volume Two Link - 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015008521000;view=2up;seq=12;skin=mobile

You ought to be able to download and keep each volume for free.

Steve

Thanks, Steve :thumbsup:

On 24/12/2018 at 13:44, Neil 2242 said:

It was for bravery at sea. So yes primarily for naval personnel, but Army and RAF personnel serving afloat would have been eligible (for example, anti-aircraft gunners on merchant vessels). But it seems most unlikely for a Guardsman!

If it was a mistaken entry, and should have read Distinguished Conduct medal, that seems more plausible.

However, I've looked on FindmyPast, and like you I can find nothing on Henry Corrin except for his MIC.

???

As I understand it, RAF personnel serving afloat only became eligible for the DSM in 1940 and Army personnel serving afloat became eligible in 1942 along with MN personnel. It would seem to be a misprint. Pete.

20 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

As I understand it, RAF personnel serving afloat only became eligible for the DSM in 1940 and Army personnel serving afloat became eligible in 1942 along with MN personnel. It would seem to be a misprint. Pete.

Thanks, Pete.

I could not find any DSM to a Corrin between 1914 an 1919 inclusive either.

I did find a large group of British & Commonwealth soldiers who were granted the King's permission to wear the American Distinguished Service Medal, but they were all senior staff officers or battalion commanders - no ORs whatsoever.  They were in LG 1919 Issue 31451 published 11 July 1919 - see here

Is it possible that Irish Guards ORs were also awarded this US gong and I've failed to turn up any LG reference?  Perhaps if they were serving alongside any US Army troops?

Longshot definitely, but could be worth exploring further.

Mark

5 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

I did find a large group of British & Commonwealth soldiers who were granted the King's permission to wear the American Distinguished Service Medal, but they were all senior staff officers or battalion commanders - no ORs whatsoever.  They were in LG 1919 Issue 31451 published 11 July 1919 - see here

Is it possible that Irish Guards ORs were also awarded this US gong and I've failed to turn up any LG reference?  Perhaps if they were serving alongside any US Army troops?

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

4 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Mark

Hi,

It could be a possibility as IIRC when 3rd CG & 2nd IG were transferred from 4th Guards Brigade to GHQ Reserve in May 1918 (after severe losses holding the line at Hazebrouck in April 1918) they were both involved in training American and U.K. troops.

Many “foreign gongs” - including American DSM  - are listed in Kipling’s Regimental History. About 20 IG US MSM awards are listed but Corrin doesn’t get a mention.

Steve

On 24/12/2018 at 14:05, hen190782 said:

Thanks.  I wonder whether it was Meritorious Service Medal.

Nigel

No sign of MSMs to any Corrin nor Wood in the Irish Guards in WO 372/24

Edit: that's the British MSM, not the US version!

Edited by MBrockway