Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver ring 1914-1916

Dear all,

This is my first post on this forum. So I hope I placed this question in the right area.

I'm from. the Netherlands and a few days ago I found a silver ring while metal detecting in Germany (area Aachen) . On the ring you can see a date: 1914 - 1916 and a iron cross on a flag.

I was wondering if anybody knows something about the ring. When was it made and on what purpose? So far I know I never found any WW1 stuff only WW2 in this spot.

Why the date is 1914 - 1916 and not until 1918? Is there a certain reason?

Hopefully can anyone help me.

Very best, Chaim

6CB4A1ED-6007-4CC6-8E01-1E579138DF75.jpg

IMG_1407-2.jpeg

Hi Chaim,

Welcome to the Forum, I’m sure someone will be along to fill in more details about the ring you have unearthed.

To me it looks typically like one of the many types of patriotic rings that were produced at that time, a very nice find in excellent condition.

John

11 hours ago, Takkie said:

Why the date is 1914 - 1916 and not until 1918? Is there a certain reason?

Hopefully can anyone help me.

Very best, Chaim

Normally, as with Trench Art shell cases it indicates the date made (1916) or alternatively the period of the soldier's service in the war. If the soldier was wounded and left the army he may have had the ring made to show his service in the war.

Thank you all for responding. So most likely the ring was made after WW1 or during WW1 (1917 or 18)  and is a so called WW1 Veteran Commemorative ring. 

My interest is in celtic and roman finds but this special ring will get a nice place. :)

Best, Chaim

• 2 years later...

I only discovered this topic recently (after a spammer added a comment, which has been deleted later by the mods). I know that the person who started the topic is no longer a member, but I thought to add my reply as other members might find this subject interesting.

Almost certainly, the material is not silver. Silver was needed for the war effort and collected by the German authorities, and in most cases other materials were used for these patriotic items. I used to have somewhere a leaflet for the famous "Vaterlandsdank 1914" ring explaining that some kind of alloy was used which looked like silver, but wasn't. Whenever I find this document, I'll post it here.

Jan

• Admin
5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Whenever I find this document, I'll post it here.

There looks to be some stamp marks on the inside of the ring pictured, these or other examples may help with knowing a bit more about them? Best wishes, Bob.