Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Belgium Medal

ForeignGong

Has any one heard or better still seen the medal in the attached please. I've done the old GOOGLE Search with no success.

Any help much appreciated.

Peter

nurses.JPG

Could it be this one?

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

The "Médaille de la Reine Elisabeth"?

The wikipedia entry says " It was awarded to people, both Belgians and foreign nationals, who, like Queen Elisabeth herself, had worked and cared for the suffering victims of war for a year or more prior to 10 September 1919. Although not limited to medical care of the sick and wounded, recipients who earned the medal by working in hospitals received a variant with a red enamelled cross within the suspension wreath. A great many Belgian and foreign doctors and nurses received the medal."

*edit*

On archive.org there's a list of nurses the Military Attaché of the Belgian Embassy would like to come in contact with, to give them their "Souvenir aux Infirmières" medals (in 1922 I believe)

Maybe something can be gleaned from the list of names?

"We print below the names of those nurses with whom the Military Attache at the Belgian Embassy desires to get into communication "

image.png.edc9ee7c23da27d07932fad6eee51798.png

Edited by JWK

3 hours ago, JWK said:

On archive.org there's a list of nurses the Military Attaché of the Belgian Embassy would like to come in contact with, to give them their "Souvenir aux Infirmières" medals (in 1922 I believe)

Thanks JWK

That's where I found the reference, but none of those named, that I can find, received the Medaille de la Reine Elisabeth medal. So I am still trying to establish what they were to receive.

Peter