Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Madmeg

Seeking War diaries 8th and 11 squadron

Madmeg

Can anyone tell me what wing or brigade the 8th and 11th squadrons were in? On TNA all the war diaries seem to be indexed by Wings or brigades and I don;t know which these two squads were in 

Thanks

nieuport11

It depends what period you are looking at.

8sq were part of 1,2,3,5,12,15,89 and 91 Wing at different times

11Sq were mainly 13 Wing but also 3,51 and 90

The record book for 11Sq after Nov 1918 is in AIR 1/2010/204/305/3

Madmeg
On 21/12/2018 at 22:32, nieuport11 said:

It depends what period you are looking at.

8sq were part of 1,2,3,5,12,15,89 and 91 Wing at different times

11Sq were mainly 13 Wing but also 3,51 and 90

The record book for 11Sq after Nov 1918 is in AIR 1/2010/204/305/3

Thanks and crikey!

It's a fairly limited period- trying to find out more about my GF's service. 

He transferred and was promoted to 11th Sq on 1/1/17, then was transferred again c 20/1/17 to 8th sq, he joined the 8th for duty on 4/2/17 and was inured on the 10th! 

It's been pointed out on other threads that he probably was seconded to the RFC before his eventual formal transfer. I have checked the war diaries for his previous regiment (Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry D squadron) for several months but haven't found anything so now I am trying to track down the relevant RFC war diary to see if their is any mention of him being attached to 11th squadron- He is known to have been with DoLOY at the end of 1915 as a corporal- by the time of his transfer at the start of 1917 he was a sergeant- but again I have not found a mention of his promotion in the DoLOY war diary.

I've been having difficulty as the RFC war diaries are listed by wing not squadron

Madmeg

I have now seen his medical record on FMP-  it gives his total service as 2 5/12 (ie two years and five out of twelve months- common medical useage) and his "service in this unit" as 22/12- which I am taking to mean his time with the RFC was nearly a year by that stage- presumably from his admission date of 26 feb 17. The 2 5/12 is a bit generous- from his original service number he seems to have joined up late Aug or early Sept 14 and that record would indicate more July. But that does give me a date to look up- when they digitise those RFC war diaries anyway :-(