Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Quine - Isle of Man RNVR ?

davidbohl

We have a Liverpool schoolmaster Edward Quine playing for us in 1910-11, he was born 1886 in Liverpool of Isle of Man parents.

With no middle initial I'm struggling to find a positive military career for him, there Is a Seaman E.Quine record #D1850 RNVR Douglas.

Can the forum find any leads on this chap please ?

Thanks

Dave

QuineEdward.jpg.a06b44252337202ef8597fbce07d266c.jpg

Don't think he is your man. Edward  Quine  D1850  R N R was born in Douglas Isle of Man 18th July 1872.

Edited by little bob

As you have noted, this RNR seaman (not RNVR) was born in Douglas IoM in 1872. He was a merchant seaman and had first enrolled in the RNR in 1898. No other Edward QUINEs appear in naval records. It is an uncommon name (but perhaps a common IoM name) so should be relatively easy to find. Perhaps his service was other than naval?

Enlisted Douglas, IoM. Residence and place of birth, Ramsey. Killed in action 13 May 1915. (Soldiers Died in the Great War, FMP)

RM

I wonder if this article is him, and as a headmaster he was not required for military service ?
Dave

MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY

... Handwork for women students in the Department of Education. Honorary Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Education: Mr. Edward Quine, B.Sc, who has resigned his position on the staff of the Department of Education on being appointed headmaster the Fielden ...

Published: Saturday 27 June 1914 
Newspaper: Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 

6 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

I wonder if this article is him, and as a headmaster he was not required for military service ?
Dave

MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY

... Handwork for women students in the Department of Education. Honorary Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Education: Mr. Edward Quine, B.Sc, who has resigned his position on the staff of the Department of Education on being appointed headmaster the Fielden ...

Published: Saturday 27 June 1914 
Newspaper: Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 

He was appointed an assistant director of Education for Bedfordshire - reported Luton Reporter, 8 February 1915 (FMP). I think that rules out his being the man killed in May 1915. I think this is the man.

He was still alive on 12 June 1931, when he was Vice Chairman of the National Froebel Union - Bedfordshire Times and Independent - FMP.

RM

On the 1911 Census of England and Wales, the 24 year old Edward Quine, an unmarried Schoolmaster employed by the Education Committe, born Liverpool and living with his parents at 9 Avon Street, Everton, Liverpool is probably -

The Edward Quine whose birth was registered with the Civil Authorities in the West Derby District of Lancashire in the October to December quarter of 1886, mothers' maiden name Skillicorn and is probably -

The Edward Quine, born 5th October 1886, whose death was registered in the Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire in the July to September quarter of 1974. By that time the probate calendar has very little information - no occupation and no names of the executors. He probably pops up on the 1975 Probate Calendar as the Edward Quine of 'Vanincourt', Church Road, Upper Cam, Gloucestershire, died 10th September 1974.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Quine&yearOfDeath=1975&page=1#calendar

It does however indicate no middle names consistantly

What I was looking for was any sign of a wedding (and even children) during the War Years, as the related certificates would give unit being served with. However if he did marry at all, it doesn't look as if it happened before 1934 if the marriage took place in England and Wales.

Just to close off the birth and census connection, his parents on the 1911 Census of England and Wales are shown as Donald and Ellen, who have been married 34 years. It looks like that marriage must have taken place on the Isle of Man as it's not recorded in England and Wales, plus their eldest child living with them in 1911 was the 29 year old Charlotte Annie Quine, born Douglas, Isle of Man.

Of the other children on the 1911 Census, all born Liverpool

Amy, aged 21 - most likely civil birth record is Amy Quine, West Derby District, Q3 1889,  mothers' maiden name Skillicorn

Elsie, aged 17 - most likely civil birth record is Amy Quine, West Derby District, Q2 1893, mothers' maiden name is missing in the GRO records

Bessie, aged 14 - most likely civil birth record is Bessie Quine, West Derby District, Q2 1896, mothers' maiden name is missing in the GRO records

So not quite a smoking gun but getting there :-)

Google books has extracts  from “Chairs that stand Empty: The men behind the names on the Hulme Hall First World War Memorial” By James Hern

In the chapter on 1913-14, after talking about the years’ alumni, it goes on to state on page 6 –

“The Warden continued to keep track of the career progression of other Hall alumni. Edward Quine was appointed as Headmaster of the Fieldens Demonstration School, a training school for the Department of Education of the Victoria University of Manchester, located next to Hulme Hall”.

It goes on to mention Dr Niels Bohr as a postgraduate student who would go on to win the Nobel Prize for Physics, so this section isn’t just about those who died. It’s not clear when any of these men attended Hulme Hall or when Edward was appointed Headmaster – I can only assume he went back for some form of post graduate qualification if he was there in 1913-1914.

By a strange co-incidence the book mentions at the bottom of the same page the success the Hulme Hall College had in supplying members of the University Rugby Team. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=g1s-DgAAQBAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=Edward+Quine+Teacher&source=bl&ots=OkAtf5Ndr5&sig=wU46xp7CJ12xkFXBTinH11HxQIE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipvPmP167fAhWXVRUIHemtDQwQ6AEwEHoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=Edward Quine Teacher&f=false

Edward Quinne is not on that memorial.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/names/search?filters[memorialString][Hulme Hall Students (WMR 43919)]=on

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thanks Peter and well done to all the team.

I'll update the club history and move onto the next sticking point.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Edward Quine was my grandfather.  His name is Manx, as you noted, both his parents were Manx.

He had no middle names. 

Your postings came up when I was trying to find out something about what he did in First World War, interestingly, for our Family History.

His brother, William Quine, was in the  Liverpool Pals and, starting from the Battle of the Somme, went right through the war on the Western Front.

We never really knew what Edward did during the war - he was supposed to have had flat feet or a bad heart, according to the stories I heard.

Edward got his BSc in physics from Liverpool University in 1907, though, and I realised, quite recently, that he would probably have been snapped up by the Government for scientific war work.

It turns out that he was in glass research and development for the Ministry of Munitions during war, and finished up as secretary of the Glass Research Association.

After the war he was Deputy Director of Education in Bedfordshire before he moved to Shropshire, again as Deputy Director of Education where he spent the rest of his working life.

After retirement he moved to live with us in Gloucestershire, where you correctly identified his Probate.

1 hour ago, Roger S said:

Edward Quine was my grandfather.  His name is Manx, as you noted, both his parents were Manx.

He had no middle names. 

Your postings came up when I was trying to find out something about what he did in First World War, interestingly, for our Family History.

His brother, William Quine, was in the  Liverpool Pals and, starting from the Battle of the Somme, went right through the war on the Western Front.

We never really knew what Edward did during the war - he was supposed to have had flat feet or a bad heart, according to the stories I heard.

Edward got his BSc in physics from Liverpool University in 1907, though, and I realised, quite recently, that he would probably have been snapped up by the Government for scientific war work.

It turns out that he was in glass research and development for the Ministry of Munitions during war, and finished up as secretary of the Glass Research Association.

After the war he was Deputy Director of Education in Bedfordshire before he moved to Shropshire, again as Deputy Director of Education where he spent the rest of his working life.

After retirement he moved to live with us in Gloucestershire, where you correctly identified his Probate.

Thank you and welcome to the group.

It's good to have research work confirmed.

RM