Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My grandfather frank stubbs was attached to mmgc 3 bty , i believe north western front , looking for photos of him and his unit , ideally trace his medals which were lost . Nick 

Hi Nick

Welcome to the Forum. As you'll see from my "signature", my main interest in the Great War is very parochial and my knowledge of many other aspects is sketchy. So that may be why I'm struggling a little.

No doubt the "mgc" in "mmgc" stands for "Machine Gun Corps", but I'm puzzled about the first "m". (The Motor Machine Gun Service was formed in 1914 and incorporated into the Machine Gun Corps into October 1915.)

And the "North Western Front" is a term usually applied to a Soviet formation in the Second World War.

You give "Royal Warwickshire Regiment" as one tag: what is the RWR's connection with your man - perhaps he was recruited into it?

Ah! I was about to express the fear that there would be many "Frank Stubbs" to confuse us, but happily the first one that came up when I searched "Medal Index Cards" was

this one

which looks promising.

Hopefully my first step will encourage others more expert than I to help you.

Good luck!

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

To elaborate, we have been discussing on another forum today, and suggested to Nick to post on GWF to widen his net.

What is established.

His Grandfather Frank Stubbs was 25028 Royal Warwickshire Regiment then Gunner 191938 Machine Gun Corps Motors.

From his medal entitlement he is on the Machine Gun Corps (Motors) roll for British War Medal only - indicating he served during the war years in India (so not entitled to a Victory Medal). He also gained a General Service Medal  for North West Frontier 1919 with Afghanistan clasp. (3rd Afghan War). On this roll he is noted as being with 3rd Motor Machine Gun Battery.

3rd being one of the earliest MMGS batteries and also the longest serving, had served in France from early 1915 and transferred to India in January 1918 - based in Ambala. During 1918 the battery replacement personnel were drawn from Infantry units already in India. The were then involved in the North West Frontier activities along with 15th and 19th MMGs (and 22nd MMG who had been based in India since spring 1916). All those units by this time had a mix of original MMGS hands and transfer replacements. All were officially Machine Gun Corps (Motors) but considered themselves  Motor Machine Gun Service.

Close service number 191936 Gunner Charles Frankham died India 30/10/1918. He was also ex RWR, and serving with 3rd MMG at the time. He is buried at Ambala. So places his transfer  into MGC(M) to sometime in 1918 prior to October.

Nick is trying to locate his grandfather's medals, and also interested in finding photos of 3rd MMG from their time in India/Afghanistan.

Nick. There are a couple of older threads relating to 3rd MMG Battery  - these relate to one of the Army Service Corps members of the battery. A full Battery was usually 4 or five officers and around 54 other ranks - of those around 10-12 were Army Service Corps  who were the support vehicle drivers, and fitter/mechanics.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:38, Nick stubbs said:

My grandfather frank stubbs was attached to mmgc 3 bty , i believe north western front , looking for photos of him and his unit , ideally trace his medals which were lost . Nick 

Nick Welcome to the GWF. A couple of links attached, which my be useful:

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/6th_Regiment_of_Foot

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Main_Page

You should also see the 22 MMG Bty link further down the page under the Units and Formations page of the GWF.

Regards, Paul

• 1 year later...

@Nick stubbs. Nick just following up on some older posts? Any joy on locating your grandfather's medals? And do you have any stories or information about your grandfather 's time on the Nirth West Frontier.