The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Cavalry Brigade

Ciaran Byrne

Can anybody tell me who took over command of 3rd Cavalry Brigade after General Gough took over the command of 2nd Cavalry Division? I have tried looking it up everywhere - even in Gough's biography and cannot find out who it was.

Ciaran,

successor to General Gough was

Brigadier-General J. Vaughan (16.09.14). He in turn was succeeded by

Brig-Gen J.A. Bell-Smyth (16.10.1915)

Regards, Wienand

PS info comes from "order of battle of divisions, part 1"

J Vaughan was Allenbys Chief of staff during the retreat. He also wrote a book called 'Cavalry and sporting Memoires' He was at that famous meeting when Smith-Dorrien decided to stand at Le Cateau. A copy of the book can be found on Abebooks. I have often wondered what it would be like but have yet to get a copy.The IWM also has a photo of him in their collection.

Seeing as Gough detatched himself from Allenbys command during the retreat I wonder how Vaughan got on when he took up the brigade?

regards

Arm

Well Arm, I've just ordered a copy and will let you know what its like when I read it. Thanks to both of you for the information.

Envy ;)

:angry:

I have just checked the saved page of my abebooks and someone has just bought the copy i had earmarked to buy at sometime. Any ideas who that could be seeing as it was their some five mins ago.

Quarry books per chance Ciaran. i am left with a real feeling of envy now.

happy reading :lol:

Arm.

Really sorry mate, :rolleyes:

I didn't know you had earmarked it on your list. I'll do you some photocopies of the WWI bit if you want when i get the book.

No problem, first come first served.

Would appreciate a review of the book once you have done. I think he had an uneventful war after 1914 as he was later a cavalry division commander. the 1914 bits may be good.

regards

Arm.