Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for platoon organisations 1918

Ascent

I'm looking for how a platoon would be organised in late 1918.

For the British, on paper at least, it seems that there were four sections of ten men including the NCO's, two of the sections would have a Lewis gun with a two man team. I'm guessing the platoon commander would be a Lieutenant with a SNCO to support him although I'm not sure about that.

For the Germans I've seen a strength of 45 men split into 4 sections but no further information than that. I'm guessing they'll also have a couple of machine gun teams but weren't the German MG teams larger?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Platoons usually had an officer as Platoon-Leader, casualty rates permitting, with a Sgt to assist him. Each section was commanded by an NCO. O.B. 1919, dated 14 June 1918 in the 4th Edition of the War Office ‘Battle Organisation’ pamphlet, laid down a new platoon organisation of three sections. The Grenadiers and Bombers sections were amalgamated, reducing sections from four to three. To operate the new Lewis section, now with two guns, 56 Division insisted these were brought up to an establishment of thirteen men and that the rifle section—previously as large as sixteen—could not be increased beyond seven until the Lewis section had reached eleven. The new Bombers section varied enormously in size- anywhere between 8 to 16 men. Section strength very much depended on manning levels and individual battalions within a division seem to have had some degree of latitude as to the strength of individual sections.