Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MYSTERY MEDAL

BIFFO

Can any gwf identify this mystery medal,its stamped on the back v.a.d but I think its ww2 ?

any help would be good

Biffo

mystery 1.JPG

mystery.JPG

Imperial German , or from one of the Grand Duchies or Free States I would think .

Regards Steve.

18 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

It's not German, I haven't seen it before.

Hi,

sorry to say that, but just because you haven´t seen it, doesn´t necessarily mean that it isn´t German.

What can be said, though, with a high degree of certainty, is that it is no offical medal of any German state, military or civil. Could well be something from a patriotic organization or shooting or sports-club within Germany. Can´t read the inscripton unfortunately. Seems to be a name and an abbreviation. The cross seems to be 800 silver. The way it is stamped does not exclude German origin.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

That crown looks similar to the one on the Bavarian War Merit cross.  Coupled with the regularity of oakleaves in German medals of all sorts, I would tend towards a German award also.

Dave

Thank you chaps :thumbsup:

On 18/12/2018 at 22:29, depaor01 said:

That crown looks similar to the one on the Bavarian War Merit cross.  Coupled with the regularity of oakleaves in German medals of all sorts, I would tend towards a German award also.

Dave

I don't agree, the embellishments on the crown are not like anything I've seen on imperial medals. Also the one-sidedness of the medal and the suspension is totally unlike any Imperial German medal.

It would help if we could have a good view of the engraving. I think I can read "M. M... A. D."?

HI!

To me it seems to be a crown representing either royal rank or modeled after a crown symbolizing royal rank. The Bavarian crown as noted by Dave ist similar but not identical. The Prussian crown is also quite similar. We must not forget, it is a rather brute  (simplified) representation. The Romanian crown is also not far off concerning design. See pictures of examples. I do not (as stated) believe it is an official state award of the States of the German Reich, but i do think it could well be a private award of a "Verein" or organisation of the German Reich. The shield needs to be attributed to be sure, if it is indeed one to denote a state or city. Note the floral elements or "embellishments" that are used in the German crowns. All photos from WIKIPEDIA.

GreyC

a_Bavaria2.jpg.c3bcafaf793efff04e97961922482464.jpga_Prussia.jpg.bc70ff6e8e09df615ec23f0a72372abd.jpga_Romania.jpg.40d2902812a9891f507f597ef5ee3dd3.jpg174829697_a-Wurttemberg.jpg.cb167f22212c737d677675d703aa3a3d.jpg

Edited by GreyC

"800" would suggest German/Austrian silver. "H7(?)" would then be the maker's mark.

Austro-Hungarian Navy? The shield looks like the (now) Austrian flag, which used to be an naval ensign flag before 1918 (or so Wikipedia says...)

This website has an Austrian medal for sale with just about the same crown (including the cross on top)

dracomedals.jpg.486c7cce19e8d5975488c0afc854e1bc.jpg

Edited by JWK

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

the one-sidedness of the medal and the suspension is totally unlike any Imperial German medal.

I agree the suspension is not usual for a German medal and agree it's not of official appearance, but the Ehrenkreuz was one sided with just a maker mark to rear. One sidedness doesn't exclude German origin.

Dave

It  is a Germanic Grand Duke's crown , not sure what Duchy , but that is what it is . 

Regards Steve.

Edited by esco

8 hours ago, charlie2 said:

H7 is used as a date stamp for 1910 in Sweden and 1961 in Finland.

I had thought about that option, but thought the mark was "HZ". As Finland is not a monarchy, perhaps a Swedish medal from 1910 may be an option. Could we have a clear picture showing the engraving?

Hmmm, looks like Sweden and Finland never carried the 800 standard, but only the 813 and above (= parts per 1000. 800 = 80% silver etc.)

1111640612_aaasilverClipboard-1.jpg.1ac5fa548a119613bd2b90525c178668.jpg

from "the Silver Forums"  which is my bible when it comes to silver.

I can run a query on that forum if you like. Many experts on there.

But indeed a much clearer photo of the inscription will help.

:thumbsup: