Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alan MacDonald Books

Whizzbang

Does anybody have any info on when Alan MacDonalds next book (I believe it will be about the 1st July 1916 attacks on the Thiepval - La Boisselle sectors) is coming out ?

many thanks in advance 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got diverted and the Thiepval  book is currently 50% done (as is one about the French attack). I've been working on something which has now become two volumes each of c. 800 pages which basically tries to trace reasons why the British and French found themselves in such different tactical and technical positions at 7.30 a.m. on 1st July 1916. Unfortunately I got carried away and the first volume now starts with the Franco-Prussian War. Second volume traces British and French planning post December 1915 and the impact of Verdun, etc.,  up to the moment of the attack. Hope to finish them both this year and then back to either/and/or Thiepval/the French.

13 hours ago, bmac said:

the first volume now starts with the Franco-Prussian War

They are an epic digressions Bill; I'm looking forward to the results already, I'll start saving my pocket money in readiness. The only risk factor might be if you put the band back together (virtually) and start gigging in cyberspace. Now I come to think of it I'd pay to see that too.......

Pete.

Which band? Funnily enough we were vaguely talking about something but then this pandemic thingy took over. Clearly not meant to be. :-(

20 minutes ago, bmac said:

Which band?

I'll be happy with any of them; but if forced to choose I'd go for a 2020 incarnation of Quiet Sun, or maybe 801 for a bit of dad dancing. Perhaps you could consider something virtual? If Sophie Ellis-Bextor can do discos from her kitchen anything is possible.....

On the main subject I'm becoming increasingly interested in the influence of the French on the neighbouring British in front of Montauban. One Alan Brooke was an artillery officer with the 30th Division and spoke excellent French as I understand it. I'm also fascinated by the idea of ideas being shared between the French and British as a result of experience at Verdun having chatted about it with a fellow member of the forum who knows just a bit about the battle.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Yes QS might have been fun. We'll see :whistle:

I believe there was rather more cooperation and understanding between the two around Montauban with the French supplying some rather elderly heavy guns as well as helping to deal with the German artillery. There were more supplied later about which Congreve was very complimentary. Of course, nearly every British Corps had a group of 75s attached prior to 1st July (though Rawlinson initially didn't want them) but there didn't seem to be much understanding of what was the most effective way of using them. Most resorted to having them fire their gas shells at batteries and villages on the day (with little effect). The 36th Division, however, used them to cut wire at which they were very good with their instantaneous graze shells and thus the Ulstermen had well cut wire when they attacked unlike the divisions on either flank. Of course the key differences were the depth of the British attacks and the weakness of their artillery per yard of front.

50 minutes ago, bmac said:

Yes QS might have been fun. We'll see :whistle:.

Very illuminating (pun unintended) on the French artillery support, thank you. Keep us posted on developments (literary and rock 'n' roll). Come to think of it Quiet Sun feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor (from her kitchen), now that might be a crossover smash. Just thought I'd run that one up the flagpole to see who salutes......

Pete.

• 3 years later...

I'm afraid it has not progressed as I have been working on other things. The 'other things' are six WW1 books and one about my time n the music biz.

They are: two about the French in August 1914, first one out next month; two exploring/explaining the historic, tactical and technical situations of the British and French armies prior to the 1st July 1916; one about the British armaments industry; and, lastly, a sort of almanac for 1st July 1916 with detailed orders of battle for all three combatants, biogs of officers (Brigadier and above) and brief descriptions + maps of the actions of all British, French and German divisions. Hope to have all of these out in 2024. Then it will be on to the French on 1st July (about 80% written) and then, probably, back to Thiepval.

Edited by bmac

• 3 weeks later...