Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this crest and tie?

Madmeg

Just to add to the confusion of innocent bystanders a new 95th Regiment was raised in 1823 which became 2nd Battalion The Derbyshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) in 1881.

58 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

Just to add to the confusion of innocent bystanders a new 95th Regiment was raised in 1823 which became 2nd Battalion The Derbyshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) in 1881.

This comes up here on the Forum regularly every 2-3 years :P - some samples below.

Be aware also that between 1816 and 1818 the title '95th Foot' was also used when the 96th Foot, a light infantry regiment raised in 1803, was "up-numbered" after the RB was honoured.

Thanks fellas,

I've just worked my way through all the 2nd Lt who were in the Queen Alexandra Millbank Hospital in 1917 (like my granfather) and pulled out the SWB men- next stage will be to check them out when I can get into the library FMP for images - then I can try another email to the Bedford School archivist - who after initial helpful response hasn't been back in touch :-( . I've been cross referencing them to FWR which has eliminated some but I have a busy week before my sub expires to copy all the records onto my pc.

On 09/01/2019 at 10:10, Madmeg said:

that's only simple if you have ever heard of army precedence order - which is totally incomprehensible to anyone used to working sensibly- eg alphabetically o numerically! :-D

There is a further logical ordering, namely by date of formation, which is the method the Army uses to determine precedence.

Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

There is a further logical ordering, namely by date of formation, which is the method the Army uses to determine precedence.

Ron

Is that not what post 24 said?