Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diary of Oblt. Rudolph Berthold

Bennett

I am hoping that someone out there has or has access to the diary of German ace Rudolph Berthold, Jasta 18, which I believe still exists only in German. If so, I would greatly appreciate the entries for September 22 & 23, 1917. Thanks for any assistance

Hi Grey,

In the book 'Iron Man, Rudolf Berthold, author Peter Kilduff cites Berthold's personal diary, 'Lazarettkrankenbucher 1916-1918' discovered in the Bundesarchiv, as a major source for his book. I know it is a long shot but hoped there might be someone out there who? The diary could provide a German view of combat actions for the dates I cited.

Interesting discussion in Kilduff's book how the German Medical Service treated Jasta pilots to keep them airborne. Berthold suffered several wounds which left him in chronic pain. Air crews were basically provided with narcotics, morphine etc., but Berthold elected long term cocaine use to keep flying. Not surprisingly other Jasta folks complained of his severe mood swings.  Thanks & Merry Christmas  Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I fear one of us got it wrong. The Krankenbuchlager was an Archiv were all surviving reports of all the german military hospitals of WW1 and WW2 were stored. Because of neglect many of these reports/journals are now no longer useabel. The rest can be accessed thru the Bundesarchiv. So unless Berthold copied the offical data pertaining to his case and thus created a private copy, I doubt that his personal diary of his stay at the hospital will have been stored at this Krankenbuchlager. But then again, I could be wrong. I suspect that Kildruff studied the general journals and extracted the informations that related to the people he was interested in or the questions he tried to find answers for.

If there is a personal/private diary of Berthold in the Bundesarchiv it should be found via online search on its homepage.

Best,

GreyC

Yes, I too fear one of us is wrong and it is Me, again.

How about, maybe Berthold, R.  'Aus hinterlassenen Papieren' in Langsdorff, W. von (ed.) Flieger am Feind, Gutersloh, 1934. Thanks again and would much appreciate any further guidance.  Ralph

4 hours ago, Bennett said:

Yes, I too fear one of us is wrong and it is Me, again.

How about, maybe Berthold, R.  'Aus hinterlassenen Papieren' in Langsdorff, W. von (ed.) Flieger am Feind, Gutersloh, 1934. Thanks again and would much appreciate any further guidance.  Ralph

That just refers to the remaining papers of Berthold in possession of his next-of-kin. It is not a publication.

6 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Ralph,

I fear one of us got it wrong. The Krankenbuchlager was an Archiv were all surviving reports of all the german military hospitals of WW1 and WW2 were stored. Because of neglect many of these reports/journals are now no longer useabel. The rest can be accessed thru the Bundesarchiv. So unless Berthold copied the offical data pertaining to his case and thus created a private copy, I doubt that his personal diary of his stay at the hospital will have been stored at this Krankenbuchlager. But then again, I could be wrong. I suspect that Kildruff studied the general journals and extracted the informations that related to the people he was interested in or the questions he tried to find answers for.

If there is a personal/private diary of Berthold in the Bundesarchiv it should be found via online search on its homepage.

Best,

GreyC

I recently visited Freiburg and accessed some of the Lazarettbücher there. There mostly only information about who was admitted when into the hospital. Sometimes there's a short indication why he was admitted but you won't find anything new there about Berthold if Kilduff used that information already.

Jan

Oh well, may be a dead end quest here         Danke & Frohe Weihnacten  JAN

Sorry if I am being a pest here but could this be a publication that would contain info on Berthold  (Hoover Library Stanford University)  Thanks once again  Ralph

Flieger am Feind : einundsiebzig deutsche Luftfahrer erzählen

content?id=AS0yAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontco
Edition
[12. Aufl.]
Imprint
Gütersloh : C. Bertelsmann, [1942]
Physical description
356 p. : ill., ports. ; 19 cm.

There is a chapter in the book re Rudolf Berthold, the book can be downloaded for 3,99€. The preview doesn‘t go as far as Berthold but it will give you an idea what sort of information is contained in the book.

https://books.google.de/books/about/Flieger_am_Feind.html?id=pYI7DwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y

Charlie

Hi,

if your German is ok maybe you are interested in a thoroughly researched account concerning his death.

Jörg Berlin: „Lynchjustiz an Hauptmann Berthold“ oder Abwehr des Kapp-Putsches? Die Ereignisse in Harburg im März 1920. In: Jörg Berlin: Das andere Hamburg. Freiheitliche Bestrebungen in der Hansestadt seit dem Spätmittelalter. (= Kleine Bibliothek – Politik, Wissenschaft, Kunst. 237). Pahl-Rugenstein, Köln 1981, ISBN 3-7609-0654-0, S. 209–234.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thank you Charlie and Grey, This makes it look more promising. Nein, on the German, but have German friends about Thanks again Ralph