Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TROTYL

anthonyl

I just been reading War Diary of !st Btn. Rifle Brigade for July 1915 and came across "fired 100 round of TROTYL into German saphead"

Can anyone enlighten me about TROTYL it sounds nasty

Regards

Anthonyl

Trotyl is the German name for TNT, one of the most common high explosive fillings used in shells and other ordanance of the Great War. The name was also used by the British. In this context they are probably referring to firing HE shells or mortars at the German position.

I have never been on the receiving end but I should not think it is very enjoyable. ;)

It was also the HE used in British torpedoes; about 320lbs of the stuff in each one early on in the War, but still not enough to sink a battleship with one hit.

I thought British torpedos used Amatol?

IIRC Trotyl was a new filling about that time, so was probably mentioned to distinguish it from Lyddite (cast-in picric acid) which was less powerful, less reliable and had a limited storage life.

Regards,

MikB

Hello Mike,

IIRC, the Trotyl reference comes from Nasmith's reminiscences in Dardanelles Patrol.

Additionally, in 1914 the HE warheads of the torpedoes were some 40lb heavier than practice versions, leading to many torpedoes running deep and missing their targets until the problem was rectified.

Cheers

Richard