Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery WW1 Tanks Berlin 1945

andrew pugh

Good Evening

I have just been looking for some information on Youtube and came across a program called "Mystery WW1 Tanks in Berlin 1945". Some of you with an interest in tank's may find it of some interest

Regards

Andy

Interesting indeed. I had seen the pictures of the tanks outside Smolensk cathedral before but didn't know anything about the history behind them. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve.

As I understand it there were a couple of British Mark Vs that the Germans had captured in 1918, stuck on display in a museum and then wheeled (or tracked ...) out of the museum for the defence of Berlin in 1945. One was destroyed and the other put on display by the Soviets.

Mark_V_30.jpg

One of those tanks in Berlin is Mark V #9146 it was knocked out in France in October 1918 repaired sent to South Russia post war captured by the Red Army used by them for some years and made a monument in Smolensk. When the Germans captured the city they shipped it to Berlin. There are i believe some more pictures of this tank on the forum axis history.com

The Mk V's and 'Whippet' tanks captured by the Germans in Russia in 1941-2 were all British tanks donated to the White Russians to fight the Reds and captured when the Bolsheviks (later Soviets) ultimately triumphed in the Russian Civil War 1918-22.

The vast majority of British tanks were donated to White Russian General Denikin's forces in the Kuban, Don and Crimea however a small number were also captured by the Reds at Arkhangelsk (Archangel) on the White Sea, North Russia and four Mk V's were also captured from the Estonians when the Baltic states were annexed by Stalin in 1940.

The Estonian Mk V's were put into action against the Whermact when the Germans reached the Baltic states in August 1941, the last time the Mk V was used in combat.

Edited by wrightdw

There is no mystery about these tanks. As stated above one is 9146, a Mark V Composite (Hermaphrodite), the other is an unidentified Mark V Female painted in Russian bubble or amoeba camouflage. They stood as gate guardians at Smolensk until the German invasion, after which they were taken to Berlin as trophies.