Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Jervis

Heroes or Traitors

Jervis

A very interesting "Reviewby Padraig Yeates of Paul Taylor's book "Heroes or Traitors: Experiences of southern Irish soldiers returning after the Great War."

When I say review it's probably more accurate to say it is a summary of the book's key findings. 

depaor01

Very interesting. Thanks.

Dave

nialld

Thanks for the link,well worth a read.

Michael Pegum

I must admit that I have not read the book, but only this synopsis, but it is strange that Taylor does not seem to have mentioned the ex-servicemen who joined the I.R.A. (Tom Barry is an obvious example), and trained the others in the use of weapons as well as being on active service. There was also one, Martin Doyle, who has the unique distinction of holding both the Victoria Cross and the 'Black and Tan' medal, as he was an intelligence officer in the I.R.A.  during the War of Independence.

Michael

Jervis

Well I have not read the book either but I'd be very surprised if Taylor does not reference it or the ex. service men who joined the National Army during the civil war and provided expertise and professionalism to the fledgling new army. 

Yeates' review does reference ex service men in the IRA including anti-treaty IRA who continued to claim a Great War pension from the British despite being in armed opposition to the crown. 

corisande

An interesting synopsis. As is pointed out in it, at 75 euros a pop, the readership will be somewhat small 

I do not expect people to agree with me, but to me many, perhaps most,  books on a subject like this , will reach conclusions based on the authors political persuasion, and similarly the review will be biased by the reviewer's political persuasion. And both author and reviewer may not agree on viewpoint rather than the books contents

the review points out the number of ex-service men shot as spies, but it is unclear where that figure comes from. Do any forum members know of any original research on those men?

Murrough
On 17/12/2018 at 12:53, Michael Pegum said:

I must admit that I have not read the book, but only this synopsis, but it is strange that Taylor does not seem to have mentioned the ex-servicemen who joined the I.R.A. (Tom Barry is an obvious example), and trained the others in the use of weapons as well as being on active service. There was also one, Martin Doyle, who has the unique distinction of holding both the Victoria Cross and the 'Black and Tan' medal, as he was an intelligence officer in the I.R.A.  during the War of Independence.

Michael

Quite a few decorated and non decorated ex service men helped on the Irish side, I am coming across more all the time.

Edited by Murrough

esco

Traitors , but there again , one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter . It all depends on the times & political persuasion of the time .

Regards Steve.