Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Glasgow hospital

thegrove

In a newspaper, a casualty from gas and shrapnel wounds is reported as being in a Glasgow hospital on 31 August 1918. He had been injured on 16 August on the Somme. There is a list here of the Glasgow hospitals that were used for casualties here. Do I have any chance of identifying which hospital in Glasgow and are any admission records likely to exist? 

Thanks.

Once you have an ID the records will be on TNA's Discovery catalogue if anywhere.

Admissions and Discharge registers exist for some of the WW1 hospitals in UK. Series MH106 at Kew but not digital yet.

I looked in several on my last visit in November for Queen Alexandra Military Hospital Millbank,London.

You can search the Discovery Catalogue for links to Glasgow, a daunting task as there are so many hospitals on your list.

Example:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C545155

Edited by sotonmate

Snipped

On 19/12/2018 at 21:24, sotonmate said:

Admissions and Discharge registers exist for some of the WW1 hospitals in UK. Series MH106 at Kew but not digital yet.

sotonmate

FMP have 112 books for QAMH Millbank. Their run is MH106/1588-1793 but is not consecutive, presumably due to their 100 year rule policy. Discovery shows 235 results for Millbank in MH106.

Out of curiosity I had a look at MH106/1793 which TNA say is;Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank: Mrs Mitchison's Hospital - officers. Mrs Mitchison's Hospital was on Chelsea Embankment and was affiliated to QAMH Millbank.

However, MH106/1793 is not 'Mrs Mitchison's Hospital - officers' it is in fact Mrs Russell's Private Convalescent Hospital for Officers, Normanswood (Manor), Farnham. Some of the Officers were transferred to or from Mrs Mitchison's Hospital.

Wonder what other hospitals hide within mis-described TNA details.

TEW

TEW

Thanks for the correction, in my simple way I felt that they couldn't be downloaded from Discovery and didn't realise that FMP had done some of them.

FMP add to their MH106 set as the 100 year rule applies (although they seem to have some 1920?). Last update to FMP's set was about 2 months ago but haven't been able to work out yet if that was new hospitals etc or existing ones updated to Oct 1918.

TEW

On 16/12/2018 at 10:58, thegrove said:

In a newspaper, a casualty from gas and shrapnel wounds is reported as being in a Glasgow hospital on 31 August 1918. He had been injured on 16 August on the Somme. There is a list here of the Glasgow hospitals that were used for casualties here. Do I have any chance of identifying which hospital in Glasgow and are any admission records likely to exist? 

Thanks.

You could try contacting the NHS greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, at the Mitchel Library in Glasgow (Link here). And this site gives you information on its holdings and contact details (link here). There is nothing online so you may have to visit if they have anything you might be interested in.

Best Wishes

Keith

Thanks Scotsmac, I had concluded that the National Archives at Kew did not seem to hold any Glasgow hospital records, but your Mitchel Library link does look promising.

Graham