Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND Officers swords

gwalchmai

I realise that they would bot be for combat. But do we have any information on what the RND officers would carry?  Would it be the normal RN 1827 pattern? Or would it be the Army officer pattern?

Very interesting, Jane. Quote:-

"Though not certainly the sword of R D, the combination of military style hilt and naval blade suggest most strongly that this weapon is correctly identified. Mr W. Reid of the Armouries, HM Tower of London says that the hilt has also been found on Colonial Police swords."

Who do you reckon RD Is? 

Is it not possible that this is an ersatz, non regulation pattern sword bought because it was available while the regulation pattern (which I thought , without any evidence, would be standard RN pattern) was not available? Are there other such examples?

Hi Phil, personally I think R D is a typo for RND :) .

Notwithstanding the Greenwich Museum's description (Post #2), I can see no reason why a naval officer would wear, in the full-dress naval uniform requiring sword and medals, anything other than a standard pattern naval officer's sword (with sharkskin hand grip as shown in the link at Post #4). RN Uniform Regulations do not appear to authorise any alternative cutlery. The sword described may be a cheap version made for use by junior officers on the parade ground in training establishments.

Alternatively, a variation on the sword carried by officers of the RMLI and RMA is a possibility:- "Half-basket, steel hilt with two fluted bars on the outside; black fish-skin grip bound with silver wire; slightly curved blade 35.5 inches long and 1.25 inches wide, having Corps devices grooved and spear-pointed." [Dress Regulations: Officers, Royal Marines.]

Edited by horatio2

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

A naval sword worn with suspension from a Sam Browne belt, as expected.

And another seen here in this crop from a photograph reproduced on p.2124 of Len Sellers' magazine RND Issue No.21, June 2002

2023497266_JDicksonRNVR.jpg.094182bf44a58ece06dc27bb1d406d56.jpg

On 14/12/2018 at 22:47, gwalchmai said:

I realise that they would bot be for combat

A further note regarding the crop above

While perhaps not actually taken into combat, the sword was certainly carried by this officer on his way to a theatre of war

Len Sellers' caption indicates that the photograph was taken aboard the SS Franconia on the voyage to Gallipoli

Edited by michaeldr

Well-spotted, Michael. Although a bit obscured it appears to be a naval sword. The sword knot seems to have been removed, revealing the aperture in the hilt.

10 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Well-spotted, Michael. Although a bit obscured it appears to be a naval sword. The sword knot seems to have been removed, revealing the aperture in the hilt.

Isn't the sword knot hanging down the front over the canvas bag attached to his Sam Brown?

Merely an observation.

With a further enlargement and crop the quality of reproduction goes adrift, but nevertheless this may help

2046086407_JDicksonRNVR2ndcrop.jpg.ab550fafd4a4b2e495ce0677fe61a761.jpg

The lion's head pommel is quite distictive and different from that seen in the example at Greenwich (post No.2)

The latter seems to have more in common with the design of a sword presented to the Master at Arms of

HMS New Zealand  see http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/78829.html

ie a Warrant Officers' sword rather than that of a Commissioned Officer 

(but I'm begining to get out of my depth here :()

Edited by michaeldr

10 minutes ago, PhilB said:

That seems to have a leather knot attached but not through the hole in the guard?

Perhaps an honest mistake by an newly commissioned eager beaver 

(It has also previously been commented on that while he was only entitled to one ring, his sleeve shows two)

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

That seems to have a leather knot attached but not through the hole in the guard?

14 minutes ago, PhilB said:

As opposed to the one in post #8 worn correctly?

Sorry Phil, I can't answer that