Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlistment and numbering in the 2/5th Royal Sussex

Yarnold66

I am writing up the war story of my great uncle, Arthur Henry Powell (1893-1918), and am trying to get a clearer picture of his enlistment and mobilization. His first unit was the 2/5th Royal Sussex, a Territorial unit. He enlisted in Hastings and his initial number was 3806 (later G/17969) - men who joined the 2/5th unit at this time were given numbers in the high 3000s and beyond. On the medal rolls I have located other men of the 2/5th whose numbers fall close to his (e.g. 3805 Stephen Swatton, also enlisted Hastings, and 3809 Harry Elliott). Arthur’s service record and that of other 2/5th men close in number to him have not survived, except it appears for one, namely Harold Button (3807, one number after Arthur). 

Arthur would have attested at the 5th’s HQ in Middle Street, Hastings. Would he have been given a number at this stage or would he have had to go to the regimental barracks in Chichester and then be assigned a number and unit? What would have been the thinking behind the numbering of these 2/5th men, which repeats far earlier assigned numbers for the regiment and even TF numbers from late 1915 (e.g. another 3805 being James Arthur Collins, 27 Nov. 1915). The vast majority of them, even of those who died, have very clean Medal Roll cards with the most basic information on.

Initially I thought he may have been part of the Derby Scheme- attesting in late 1915 and then joining his unit in February 1916. Arthur’s father records his son as having joined up in February 1916 (shortly before conscription came in). But I now realise, that like Harold Button (3807), he could have equally enlisted for immediate service that month before it became compulsory. Any comments are greatly welcome.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Yarnold66 said:

What would have been the thinking behind the numbering of these 2/5th men, which repeats far earlier assigned numbers for the regiment and even TF numbers from late 1915 (e.g. another 3805 being James Arthur Collins, 27 Nov. 1915).

Note that each TF Battalion of a Regiment used its own numbering series.

3805 J A Collins joined the 4th Bn.

Regards

Russ

Many thanks for that Russ - that wasn't something I was aware of.

Am I right in saying that a man who directly enlisted in Hastings would not be given his number and unit until he reported to the Regiment's headquarters, in this case Chichester?
For a non-Derby man what kind of time gap would there be between enlisting and reporting to the HQ?