Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ripon Camp Hospital Records

KED

I have information that my great grandfather 1/4 Bn. Gordon Highlander, returned from theatre WW1 in late Feb early March 1916 injured. He was sent to Ripon War Hospital but I am unable to find any info on the hospital or any medical info on his injuries or cause of death. Is anyone able to provide some direction for me please. 

this link has Ripon Drill Hall as an auxiliary (VAD) hospital, but otherwise I can't find any record of Ripon War Hospital (or Military Hospital, or Hospital) in TNA (The National Archives). It was almost certainly a temporary hospital whose records were destroyed in the 20s along with many others. There was a prisoner-of-war camp and a training camp in Ripon so it's also possible that one or other of these did duty as a hospital for a while, but again they have left no trace behind them.

Cause of death should be on the death certificate, obtainable from the GRO (General Record Office) in the usual way https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

It may be worth going to your local library and seeing if they have material on Ancestry or Find My Past so that you can search for your great-grandfather there.

My Grandfather was gassed in March 1918 and after treatment in various hospitals was posted to Ripon. He was assessed as B2 and remained there until he had sufficiently recovered to go back to France.

When I visited Ripon the local Library were very helpful providing me with access to maps of the massive wartime North & South Camps.

I think they said there was a hospital there, but as seaJane states it was likely to be temporary.

Just checked my Grandfathers Diary for the period. I found an entry "Hospital at Ripon"

Edited by RobertBr
More Info found.

Thanks Terry. My maps are all of South Camp, which is why I could not find it.

The actual text in your link states "along the Pateley Road opposite the turning to Studley Roger" which is slightly confusing as there is no "Pateley Road" in Ripon. A map search on "Pateley Road, Ripon" takes you directly to Pateley.

It should be "along the Studley Road, to Pateley, opposite the turning to Studley Roger.

Bob

On 13/12/2018 at 14:27, seaJane said:

this link has Ripon Drill Hall as an auxiliary (VAD) hospital, but otherwise I can't find any record of Ripon War Hospital (or Military Hospital, or Hospital) in TNA (The National Archives). It was almost certainly a temporary hospital whose records were destroyed in the 20s along with many others. There was a prisoner-of-war camp and a training camp in Ripon so it's also possible that one or other of these did duty as a hospital for a while, but again they have left no trace behind them.

Cause of death should be on the death certificate, obtainable from the GRO (General Record Office) in the usual way https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

It may be worth going to your local library and seeing if they have material on Ancestry or Find My Past so that you can search for your great-grandfather there.

• 2 years later...