Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marked Steel Helmet, Hubert James Moorey, Military Mounted Police.

Toby Brayley

I know this helmet has done the rounds in the past, and we have been after it for a while as it is the only know example of a marked Military Police Helmet. I have just complied a piece for our social Media. It came with a host of supporting documents and photos of the MP in question. If anyone can help me with the maker I would be most grateful, R/A103. The MMP flash is on both sides. 

I have provided a few extra photos for the benefit of the forum members including the additional layers of paint, over what appears to be the initial "apple green" color.   

A shameless plug to our interesting Facebook page  

https://www.facebook.com/RMPmuseum/

"Here at the Royal Military Police Museum we are always looking to expand our collection with artefacts that will add to our knowledge and preserve the history of the Royal Military Police and its antecedents.  The Museum not only has regular donations but will also purchase items that will benefit and enhance our unique collection. We have recently purchased one such piece of unique “Redcap” History…

The First World War Steel Helmet of Sergeant P1011 Hubert James Moorey, Military Mounted Police.

Hubert James Moorey was born in Leeds in 1877. Hubert was a groom before he enlisted in the 8th Hussars in 1895.  He served with the 8th Hussars for a short time before joining the West Riding Constabulary, he was appointed a Constable on the 1st February 1898 with the collar number 378.   

On the 26th of May 1913 he lost a finger when a dog bit him on his hand! He continued to serve with West Riding Constabulary until he transferred directly into the Military Mounted Police in July 1915. By now the Military Police had started direct entry into the Corps.  In common with virtually all civilian policemen joining the Military Police, he was appointed as Acting Lance Corporal the same day – as a trained police officer, he did not need to undertake the customary probationary period.

Hubert was almost immediately sent to France where he served for the remainder of the War, he was attached to the 2nd Cavalry Division attaining the rank of Sergeant.  In June 1918 his Meritorious Service Medal was gazetted “For Devotion to Duty”. Hubert was discharged from the Army on 4th August 1919, he returned to West Riding Constabulary, leaving the Police on 6th June 1924.

Any items to the Military Mounted Police, be that uniform, photographs and documents are exceptionally rare and the Museum will always attempt to secure them for the collection. 

This Helmet is the only known example in existence attributed to the Military Mounted or Foot Police, we deemed it a crucial addition to our collection"

The Helmet754910906_Helmet1.thumb.jpg.500b8bbbb2346665dd08d329290565b6.jpg

2073641397_Helmet3.jpg.24ae0f958a314267ba9913bd608287f4.jpg

1932811172_Helmet4.jpg.b42ed6daecfdf697003490a7f897a541.jpg

1109786137_Helmet5.jpg.53d5463a5c7b28deaea2c50dc2b3cbdb.jpg

1891141977_Helmet6.thumb.jpg.d6b3744a6a15385dd126ef455539efa2.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Hubert James Moorey

P1011 Hubert James Moorey MMP 1 WM.jpg

P1011 Hubert James Moorey MMP 2 West Riding Constab 3 WM.jpg

P1011 Hubert James Moorey MMP 2 West Riding Constab 4 WM.jpg

Toby,

Gorgeous collection & marvellous details in the photos---I did not know that a mounted constable carried a sword!

Obviously a man who took care of his equipment.

Would you like a PM if we see anything for sale that is relevant to the collection?

Regards,

JMB

Toby,

https://www.treasurebunker.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1514-british-ww1ww2-brodie-helmet-maker-stamps/

According to this site, the steel maker is likely, R = John Round & Sons Ltd, Sheffield

helmet maker is likely, A = Edgar Allen & Co. Ltd, Shrffield

Regards,.

JMB

54 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Would you like a PM if we see anything for sale that is relevant to the collection?

We would certainly appreciate it!

Thank you kindly for the maker and steel info ! 

Regards 

Toby 

Toby

If you haven't noticed yet, the chinstrap is marked 1011, if not P1011, underneath near the buckle. It's hard to read/ see, yet it's there.

Cheers,

GT,.

16 hours ago, Grovetown said:

If you haven't noticed yet, the chinstrap is marked 1011, if not P1011, underneath near the buckle. It's hard to read/ see, yet it's there.

GT, thank you! I had not spotted it, it takes a while to find but it is there 1011. I assume you have seen this in the flesh then? 

Regards

Toby

23 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

GT, thank you! I had not spotted it, it takes a while to find but it is there 1011. I assume you have seen this in the flesh then? 

Regards

Toby

Indeed - which is why I was slightly bemused by your "doing the rounds" comment, as I had had it for 11 years (!) until recently. Had it occurred to me, I would have offered it to you sooner.

PM/ remind of your email address and I'll send you digital copies of the research files - his police record, 1911 census etc.

Cheers,

GT.

2 hours ago, Grovetown said:

Indeed - which is why I was slightly bemused by your "doing the rounds" comment, as I had had it for 11 years (!) until recently. Had it occurred to me, I would have offered it to you sooner.

PM/ remind of your email address and I'll send you digital copies of the research files - his police record, 1911 census etc.

Cheers,

GT.

Apologies, poor wording on my part,  I meant it had been discussed on the forum before! I have been on the look out for it or similar for quite a while. 

I have dropped you a PM. 

Cheers

Toby