Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial Musketry School - where was it located (Dec 1916)?

Errol Martyn

According to his Form B.103, while K. L. Caldwell was serving in France with 60 Squadron he was posted to the 'Aerial Musketry School 3/12/16 to 8/12/16'.

Does anyone know where this school was located at that time?

His log book also has an entry for this but the place is not legible to me. It appears as:

image.png.631f1dd1809806fa9e041bbbeeb7ecc3.png

Cheers,

Errol

What about Hythe? There was a school for airmen based at the Hythe Imperial Hotel with a moving target device using the tram lines along the road between the sea and the golf course.

As the famous Army musketry school was in the same town the name fits.  

This is Camiers, adjacent to Etaples on the NW coast in the Pas-de-Calais department: other members of 60 Squadron were also posted there at about this time, including D.V. Armstrong. By the way, my biography of Armstrong is due to be published by Air World next summer, and I wonder whether Errol's researches into Caldwell's career with 60 Squadron can throw any last-minute light on whether DVA was actually at Camiers at the same time as KLC? His record says 1-8 December, but I have not been able to verify this. Thanks!

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks for confirming Camiers. Unfortunately I've never come across any mention of Armstrong when working on bio details for Caldwell.

Cheers,

Errol

The 1st Squadron A.G.S. was located at Hythe and associated air operations were conducted at Dymchurch Airfield (aka Palmarsh?) located on the coast west of Hythe and south of RAF Lympre. An RFC Observers School was also located there. Operations were later moved to New Romney

If you google Historic British Airfields or something like that, I believe it will provide information as a contemporary aerial photo  Google Earth Pro can also take you there.  Cheers

On 15/12/2018 at 15:38, Bennett said:

The 1st Squadron A.G.S. was located at Hythe and associated air operations were conducted at Dymchurch Airfield (aka Palmarsh?) located on the coast west of Hythe and south of RAF Lympre. An RFC Observers School was also located there. Operations were later moved to New Romney

If you google Historic British Airfields or something like that, I believe it will provide information as a contemporary aerial photo  Google Earth Pro can also take you there.  Cheers

Thanks very much for that info.