Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Osgood

Hello all,

quick heads up that there will be a section on archaeological fieldwork to look for the remains of tank 796 at Bullecourt on Digging for Britain tonight BBC4 at 21:00 hrs. Presented by the ever-excellent Pro Alice Roberts, this work highlights the endeavours of service personnel wounded in more recent conflicts and their recovery through archaeology. In this case (and perhaps counter-intuitively) on a battlefield of the Great War. Cheers, Richard

796.jpg

Edited by Richard Osgood

I am really looking forward to seeing it Richard.

4 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

I am really looking forward to seeing it Richard.

hope its good Gareth!

I am sure it will be.

An excellent series been going for years,I have most on dvd,tonights is 3-4

:poppy:

Looking forward to this - and I am sure it will be excellent.

a few factual errors - 'Australian Generals...' but there you go!

Where are the finds going to be on show?

I noticed the programme used my 1919 photo of tank 796 that I posted on forum back when I joined. Not complaining as I was sat watching and thinking 'wonder if my post war photo would have been of interest'.

I think the AP they used in the beginning to show Bullecourt is the one taken for Bullecourt2 which shows 796 but only if you look carefully. Did they miss it?

TEW

I thought it was excellent and really brought out the camaraderie of the diggers; it was really moving to see them pay tribute to the remains of the German soldier. Digging for Britain is one of the few TV programmes I stop what I'm doing to watch; Alice Roberts' enthusiasm for the subject matter is infectious and her hair colours are to be marvelled at. Maybe if Dan Snow were to go a shade braver he might improve his popularity ratings. But then again......

Pete.

Glad I saw it - great coverage, but shame it did little more than scratch the surface of a fascinating topic. 

Paul