Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
HistoryEnthusiast

Casualty Form - Handwriting!

HistoryEnthusiast

Hello folks,

I wonder if I anyone can help me with the faded part of this Casualty Record Form. The parts I can read [excluding dates] are: Attached to 12DLI [12th Durham Light Infantry] and 20GH [General Hospital] Carniers, possibly Joined ex and To Ranges? I would really appreciate any help with the rest of the faded part. This man embarked for France on 28 June 1916 so I'm fascinated to know what happened to him afterwards e.g. was he involved in the First Day of the Somme?

Any help greatly appreciated.

History Enthusiast

20.jpg

Neil 2242

Underneath "attached 12 Bn DLI" I think it says Scabies, which would be his medical diagnosis .

Edited by Neil 2242

Bardess

Hi and welcome!

24/7/16 31 IBD [Infantry Base Depot] Attached 12th Bn DLI [in the] Field - can't read date

1/8/16 Records Scabies ??? 20 GH Camiers  10/7/16

1/8/16 Records Scabies to Reinforcements 1?/7/16

22/7/16 31 IBD Joined ex

The 1st date is when his record was updated and the 2nd date is the actual date the entry occurred

Hope that's cleared things up a bit for you?

clk

Hi History Enthusiast,

2 hours ago, Bardess said:

Attached 12th Bn DLI [in the] Field - can't read date

image.png.50f525d078ea5ecaceb82055b35a8860.png

22nd July 1916.

Scabies ???

image.png.c211a22c5356a3316c94d7fa5911e521.png

Scabies Slt [?Scabies Slight?]

1/8/16 Records Scabies to Reinforcements 1?/7/16  18.7.16

22/7/16 31 IBD Joined ex [Reinforcements] 18.7.16

image.png.ce815e42427cab674ad24e18079dec31.png

3 hours ago, HistoryEnthusiast said:

was he involved in the First Day of the Somme?

I don't think so. The record seems to read as if he was at 31 Infantry Base Depot, in Etaples at the time. His service 'in the field' appears to be from 22.7.1916 when he was "attached" to 12 Durham Light Infantry from 31 IBD (and subsequently formally transferred from the Northumberland Fusiliers on 4.9.1916).

On Ancestry the 12/DLI war diary for July 1916 starts here. The 68 Infantry Brigade HQ diary is here, and the 23 Division HQ (General Staff) diary here. The National Archives search page is here. If needed there is help on reading map references here.

Images sourced from Findmypast.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

John Milner

On 7 October 12th DLI A and C Companies attacked and captured The Tangle, 400 yards SE of Le Sars, and captured the sunken Eaucourt l'Abbaye road just beyond the Tangle.  For a copy of the map send me a PM with your e-mail address.

It would appear it was this action that Loveday was wounded in the head and died on 12 Oct in 12 Gen Hospital at Rouen.

Source:  British Battalions on the Somme.

John

HistoryEnthusiast

Sorry reply delayed due to Christmas festivities...!

Thank you to everyone who replied and cleared up the questions I had concerning this man's war service. Thank you John Milner for the information concerning Le Sars - I had read the war diary and wondered whether he was involved in this battle. It's good to have someone confirm my guesses! I'm new to these FWW records so it's been quite a steep learning curve!

Gemma (aka History Enthusiast)