Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1:40000 Index Map for AEF Area of Operation

Weldon

I think you are probably going to beed to look for French Maps for this region rather than British.

There are a couple of experts on here who may be able to help.

French maps are generally named for the major town /  location on each one (so Verdun B etc)

Where are you interested in specifically I have copies of most maps relating to the 33rd Div who were astride the Meuse River (Forges to Consenvoye) on the "right" side of the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

Chris

THIS LITTLE SURVEY from the National Archive might be of assistance towards the end it speaks of AEF maps and gives a large Meuse Argonne plan

Edited by 4thGordons

6 hours ago, Weldon said:

Is there an index map of the 1:40000 map grid that covers the AEF area of operations? This map is an example of what I'm looking for, but for the Meuse-Argonne area: https://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm 

Weldon

Here is a Google Earth file that shows all the British squares, even the "rare" ones. They are numbered as per the Belgian system, that system was extended across France, (hence 36C etc.)

For some area only a tiny number of maps were produced, as Chris says, you may need to use French ones. Sadly there are not that many of those around. Here is in index to the French 1:80,000 series.

Howard

There are a set of 1:50000 maps here:

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/france_and_belgium/

They appear to be British (OS-Ordnance Survey) versions of french maps from 1937 then redone by the Americans in 1944 from the legend.

There are some French originals but only 8 maps.

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/france_50k/

Always a good site to look at for maps this one hope it helps

cheers

Dom.

5 hours ago, Howard said:

Here is a Google Earth file that shows all the British squares, even the "rare" ones. They are numbered as per the Belgian system, that system was extended across France, (hence 36C etc.)

For some area only a tiny number of maps were produced, as Chris says, you may need to use French ones. Sadly there are not that many of those around. Here is in index to the French 1:80,000 series.

Howard

The 1:80000 index does what I need. It has the 1:40000 numbers indicated also, which line up with the references used on AEF mapping. In particular, the initial burial maps refer to the 1:40000 map number so I just needed to know the coverage of those maps to help in locating burials.

Thanks for all the responses.

Weldon