Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guillemont 1916 - Jersey Contingent

Don Regiano

Although I have travelled the road between Guillemont and Longueval on more times than I care to remember, I had never really taken notice of some stones located on the right hand side of the road just before leaving Guillemont on the road to Longueval.  Then back in September I noticed a small detachment of an Irish contingent stood next to them, obviously commemorating the capture of Guillemont, (with the main party located at the memorial to the Irish Division next to the church).

On a subsequent journey, I remembered to stop and take a look.  The stones are a monument to the Jersey Contingent who formed part of the 7th Royal Irish Rifles.  I hadn't come across this before and I couldn't find any postings on the GWF relating to them.  Apologies if there has been but here are a couple of photographs anyway.

Photo0035.jpg

Photo0033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

A company of Jersey light infantry served during the Great War with the majority attached to the 7RIR until 1917 I believe when the went to the Hampshire Regt.

I only discovered this myself several years ago  I picked up an 07 bayonet with JLI on it and couldn’t put a unit to it.