Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusing Service Record Entries

Buffnut453

Hi GWF Friends,

Yep...found another relative and (surprise, surprise) his service record has generated a number of questions.

If I'm reading his service record correctly, he served in the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry (Reserves) from about 1910 onwards and was embodied into that unit on 9 September 1914.  He transferred to 3rd Bn King's Liverpool Regiment on 3 September 1916...so far so good.

The next set of entries is what's confusing me.  The entry for 19 September 1916 has him at "Infantry Base E.E.F." which I thought was the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.  The next entry shows him being transferred to 1st Bn York and Lanc Regt on 22 Oct 1916.  His MIC and Medal Roll both list his KLR and Y&LR service with 55553 and 39815 the respective service numbers .

I find it hard to believe he would go from the UK to Egypt and then to Salonika.  Equally, 3rd KLR was not an operational unit.  Anyone have any suggestions for what might have been going on with this individual?

Many, MANY thanks for any help that the experts out there can provide.

Kind regards,
Mark

Edward Spencer - Snip (Transfers).jpg

Edited by Buffnut453

I'll try to answer some points. I am sure that forum members with more expertise will clarify or correct a few points.

It looks as if he had not opted to serve overseas with the Lancashire Hussars and was therefore serving with 2/1 or 3/1 Lancashire Hussars both of which were based in the UK.

Following the introduction of conscription in 1916, he was "combed out" and compulsorily transferred to an infantry battalion (there being little need for more cavalry in the overseas theatres) so that he could be sent overseas. (I suspect that it is quoting an Army Order which allows this?) 

3 Liverpool Regiment was a training battalion. Notice that he retained his higher rate of pay as a cavalryman. He was then posted to the Infantry Base of the Egyptian Expedition Force from which he could be allocated to an infantry battalion in that theatre as a replacement. From there he was posted to 1 Y&LR. The Medal Roll will show the Liverpool Regiment and its number because he was still in the Liverpool Regiment when he went overseas and until posted to 1 Y&LR.

RM

7 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I'll try to answer some points. I am sure that forum members with more expertise will clarify or correct a few points.

It looks as if he had not opted to serve overseas with the Lancashire Hussars and was therefore serving with 2/1 or 3/1 Lancashire Hussars both of which were based in the UK.

Following the introduction of conscription in 1916, he was "combed out" and compulsorily transferred to an infantry battalion (there being little need for more cavalry in the overseas theatres) so that he could be sent overseas. (I suspect that it is quoting an Army Order which allows this?) 

3 Liverpool Regiment was a training battalion. Notice that he retained his higher rate of pay as a cavalryman. He was then posted to the Infantry Base of the Egyptian Expedition Force from which he could be allocated to an infantry battalion in that theatre as a replacement. From there he was posted to 1 Y&LR. The Medal Roll will show the Liverpool Regiment and its number because he was still in the Liverpool Regiment when he went overseas and until posted to 1 Y&LR.

RM

Wow!  Thanks RM.  That certainly aligns with the record.  I guess I'm still confused by him going to Egypt when, for Salonika, I'd have thought he'd go to the MEF depot...unless the Egypt depot served both theatres?

7 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

Wow!  Thanks RM.  That certainly aligns with the record.  I guess I'm still confused by him going to Egypt when, for Salonika, I'd have thought he'd go to the MEF depot...unless the Egypt depot served both theatres?

That's interesting.

Salonika was supplied from Egypt. I think the EEF was created out of what was left of the MEF in the spring of 1916 following the withdrawal from Gallipoli, but it's not really my area of knowledge. I'm sure someone on the forum will know.

RM