Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Gratuity Calculation (again)

HTSCF Fareham

If a Serjeant was paid a gratuity for overseas service amounting to £13 10s and he was KIA on 01/07/1916, when would he have joined up please?

Does the calculation become more difficult for serjeants?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

If a Serjeant was paid a gratuity for overseas service amounting to £13 10s and he was KIA on 01/07/1916, when would he have joined up please?

Does the calculation become more difficult for serjeants?

Thanks!

Calculation is still straight forward, it just uses different figures. You can either do it manually or use my calculator.

Is it a type 1 or a type 2 war gratuity ?

Craig

The gratuity is written in red and I'm guessing is type 1.

How can one tell if it is type 2? Is it easy to establish this point looking at the Soldier's Effects?

1 minute ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

The gratuity is written in red and I'm guessing is type 1.

How can one tell if it is type 2? Is it easy to establish this point looking at the Soldier's Effects?

With a few exceptions :

image.png.05ac62bc5c9e2ec8939a0a80c3a4935b.png

image.png.9a8e6883f73237dd6df4b7c92737d521.png

Craig

1 minute ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Ah, yes, it's definitely Type 1.

The amount would suggest he was likely a pre-war enlistment - what was his battalion and number ?

Craig

Thanks for this. I'd not come across that blog with service numbers.

It's a shame that there isn't a way for people who have confirmed enlistment dates to be able to add to the list, therefore narrowing the date even further.

How would one calculate for Second Lieutenant Alban Charles Philias Arnold, 11th Battalion (attached to 8th Battalion), Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment) who was KIA 07/07/1916?

The Soldiers Effects entry has no red box or red text, just amounts written in black ink amounting to (if I'm reading it correctly) £73 3s 5d

18 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

How would one calculate for Second Lieutenant Alban Charles Philias Arnold, 11th Battalion (attached to 8th Battalion), Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment) who was KIA 07/07/1916?

The Soldiers Effects entry has no red box or red text, just amounts written in black ink amounting to (if I'm reading it correctly) £73 3s 5d

It should, amongst the figures somewhere, show a figure in red if received a war gratuity as a ranker - if one is not shown then he was not entitled to one as a ranker and he was just paid the officers gratuity. The officers gratuity is a harder figure to calculate as it's difficult to extract the relevant data.

Best bet for officers is to check the London gazette to see when they were commissioned (this would be needed anyway if trying to work out a gratuity from the ranks).

Craig

Thanks for that Craig. Good information re the London Gazette too!

Just one other to throw into the mix. How does one calculate for the Royal Garrison Artillery? I could not find the RGA on the blog mentioned previously.

For example, Gunner 170365 Frank Batchelor, died 23/01/1919, type 2 gratuity of £8 10s

Just one other to throw into the mix. How does one calculate for the Royal Garrison Artillery? I could not find the RGA on the blog mentioned previously.

For example, Gunner 170365 Frank Batchelor, died 23/01/1919, type 2 gratuity of £8 10s

Looking just at the service number can be difficult for artillery as some number runs were repeated in some on the branches (RGA, RFA and RHA) so you'd be better using FindMyPast or Ancestry to look for service records of surrounding men to narrow further.

On the basis of the gratuity:

image.png.8a6660fd66782c381126a9cc97f043ec.png

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi HTSCF Fareham,

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Gunner 170365 Frank Batchelor

Frank Batchelor has surviving papers on Ancestry/FMP which show...

image.png.d64c774017089d993690dcd2e91b0601.png

Image source - Ancestry.co.uk

Cause of death given as spinal meningitis. 

Regards

Chris

31 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Alban was commissioned on 27 Oct 1914 according to the London Gazette.

Craig

Is obtaining information from the London Gazette a subscription thing, as I do have a few other commisions to look at?

5 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Is obtaining information from the London Gazette a subscription thing, as I do have a few other commisions to look at? 

LG is free

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

and put your query into "search the archives"

Takes a while to get the hang of their search engine. For example you can narrow by date. And the results you get depend on how you input the soldiers name. Only commissions and awards like MC get the full name, rest get only initials

Hi,

19 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Is obtaining information from the London Gazette a subscription thing

11 minutes ago, corisande said:

LG is free

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

and put your query into "search the archives"

Takes a while to get the hang of their search engine. For example you can narrow by date. And the results you get depend on how you input the soldiers name. Only commissions and awards like MC get the full name, rest get only initials

Just to clarify, original commissions were published using the full given names, subsequent promotions, etc only tend to use just the initials. Some Pals seem to have the knack of using the website, but I find it difficult at times. For WW1 events I tend to search the gazette issues on FMP (though payable by subscription) search page, as they seem to have employed a better/easier to use underlying reader.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Alban was commissioned on 27 Oct 1914 according to the London Gazette.

Craig

Do you have the link for this please on the LG?

Hi,

14 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Do you have the link for this please on the LG?

On FMP, it's the first of these two hits, albeit his 3rd given name is printed as Phideas, rather than Philias.

Regards

Chris